Kala's Journal~Newest Project :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
As a free ranged kid....I don't recommend it. There is always one in the crowd that talks kids in to doing really really dumb things. I am surprised we all lived :gig

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
As a free ranged kid....I don't recommend it. There is always one in the crowd that talks kids in to doing really really dumb things. I am surprised we all lived :gig
and we all know which one was you :p

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I don't think there are more sickos in America versus other countries, America just likes it's rosy glasses so much that a child hurt in NY will have everyone in CA locking their kids in cupboards for safety.

The same way we want to give up all our freedoms in other ways, we do the same to our kids. *shrugs* I don't see any difference between "stay inside where it is safe and play xbox" and "take off your shoes and be scanned" at the airport.

The world wasn't safe then, it isn't safe now, so you might as well just enjoy life while you can! And go outside more. *laughs*

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
I don't think there are more sickos in America versus other countries, America just likes it's rosy glasses so much that a child hurt in NY will have everyone in CA locking their kids in cupboards for safety.

The same way we want to give up all our freedoms in other ways, we do the same to our kids. *shrugs* I don't see any difference between "stay inside where it is safe and play xbox" and "take off your shoes and be scanned" at the airport.

The world wasn't safe then, it isn't safe now, so you might as well just enjoy life while you can! And go outside more. *laughs*
I tend to agree with this. I think the biggest thing is simply educating your child(ren) about what to do in certain situations and then trust that they will be ok.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I agree with the last two entries here.

I think it is interesting how in some countries, the children all sleep in the bed with the parents.

I bring this up because even though I was told to put my babies to bed in their cribs, ......I just couldn't do it, and all three babies slept with me and Hubby. We never crushed or smothered them, obviously. It seemed to be the most normal and natural thing to me.

My daughter brought her baby home from the hospital saying, "She isn't going to sleep in my bed forever like you let me!"

Now a year and a half later, she admits, "She doesn't really use her bed except occasionally. I can't stand to have her sleep anywhere but with us."

It made me wonder how many other American families do this and just don't talk about it. People thought I was weird to sleep with my children so I learned not to bring it up a lot. But I've known several moms that I got close to, and they often admitted their kids slept in their beds. Like it is a BAD thing.

I say snuggle em up while they are young, they will be teenagers soon enough and will no longer want to do that, I can guarantee!

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I agree with the last two entries here.

I think it is interesting how in some countries, the children all sleep in the bed with the parents.

I bring this up because even though I was told to put my babies to bed in their cribs, ......I just couldn't do it, and all three babies slept with me and Hubby. We never crushed or smothered them, obviously. It seemed to be the most normal and natural thing to me.

My daughter brought her baby home from the hospital saying, "She isn't going to sleep in my bed forever like you let me!"

Now a year and a half later, she admits, "She doesn't really use her bed except occasionally. I can't stand to have her sleep anywhere but with us."

It made me wonder how many other American families do this and just don't talk about it. People thought I was weird to sleep with my children so I learned not to bring it up a lot. But I've known several moms that I got close to, and they often admitted their kids slept in their beds. Like it is a BAD thing.

I say snuggle em up while they are young, they will be teenagers soon enough and will no longer want to do that, I can guarantee!
I have plenty of friends who proudly admit that their children sleep in their beds. I also have one friend who has two sons who slept in her bed up til they were roughly 10 and 12 years old and I think the younger one still does occasionally because they had really rough younger years. It was more "safe" for them to sleep with momma then to sleep in their own room.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I know this is hard to believe, but I wasn't the instigator. I was one of the younger kids in the pack. :D

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
savingdogs said:

I'm sure when we were still in trees and caves, we just tucked our children elsewhere to sleep. *sniggers*

Having your kid close at hand IS the more natural way to go about it. Although I do find it kind of creepy once the kid is older.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I know this is hard to believe, but I wasn't the instigator. I was one of the younger kids in the pack. :D
:gig :gig :gig :gig

C'mon WZ, we KNOW you. :lol:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Putting your child outside was supposed to protect them from rickets, but since the skin has to be exposed in order to absorb Vitamin D, I'm not sure how useful it was to put the child outside and then cover with a "dyune" (or whatever it was).

I tried having my child sleep in a cradle in our room, but never could get a restful sleep because I kept bolting awake every time he snuffled or moved. I didn't try putting him in our bed with us because I had been thoroughly indoctrinated into the "dangers" of doing so. My SIL however, got rid of her bed and just put several mattresses on the floor and everyone slept together (5 kids) until the oldest two girls decided they wanted their own room-- then she gave them a mattress on the floor in the 2nd bedroom and the other three continued to sleep with parents. I don't know how long they kept that up because she and DH do NOT get along so we didn't really stay in touch.

I know that in the Middle Ages, during the winter people often bundled together for warmth-- whole extended families and servants sleeping together in front of the fire. And during the early colonial times when a young man was courting a young woman, it was perfectly acceptable for him to spend the night, since he might live as much as a day's travel away, and they 'bundled' also.