Keeping my feet warm in the winter

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
FEM, they might work! They're expensive, but if I just get a couple of pairs, I can hand wash them between uses. Then, as I get more money, I can get more. That's basically what I've been looking for. Wonder if they'd sell anything like that in Dicks? Of course, I could always ask for them for Christmas.

CJ, I've thought of the battery operated socks, but haven't seen any. Problem w/them is you need to keep putting batteries in them.

sdwolfden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I hunt in cold weather, I put on a pair of knee high nylons (it's a trick to find ones that fit me:)) and put on a pair of cotton socks to wick away the moisture before putting on my boots. I can sit or walk in sub freezing weather without too much problem with feet getting wet and eventually cold.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I've tried that, and it doesn't really seem to work that well for me. However, it's going to be very cold this week for this area and time of year, so I'm going to try a couple of different things.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Acrylic socks over cotton socks work for me, my Mom knits and makes me a pair every Christmas so I have a few. :love

But they are thicker than average socks though because they are hand knit, so something like that might not work with your boots. :hu

Acrylic yarn is the cheapest warmest thing you can make outdoor clothing out of, cheaper than polyester fleece--acrylic sweaters shed water and stay warm almost as well as wool (think Irish fishermen's sweaters) and it's like 99c for a really big ball at any yarn or craft store, plus it comes in every possible colour you can imagine. It does pill if you don't launder it right, I machine wash in cold and lay flat to dry and have never had a problem.

desertcat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Have you tried dusting your feet( lightly) with cayenne and then putting on whatever socks you're comfortable in? Sounds wacky, but it works! I've heard that ginger works well too, but I always have an excess of cayenne. Used to do this when I was skiing and it was usually good for at least half a day.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Yep, I've tried the cayenne. It didn't work. The reason it's supposed to work is because it's a vasodilator. But, it's not a circulation problem for my feet. I've wondered how the cayenne would work for those suffering from Raynaud's.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I spend a lot of time outside. And a big problem I have is keeping my feet warm in the winter. Reason? I'm allergic to wool, so I can't wear them. So, my feet sweat, and since my socks hold the moisture in, my feet get wet and of course, cold.

I know there are some wool socks that aren't supposed to itch. But, they're expensive and I don't want to spend that kind of money just to learn that they make me itch! And, I'm sure I'm not the only one w/this problem.

I tried doing an internet search, but wasn't having much luck. So, I figured I'd come on here and see what others w/this type of problem have done.
Have you tried llama or alpaca fleece?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Seeing as how this was about 3 months ago, did ya ever find anything that worked?