Keeping my feet warm in the winter

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yeah, staying inside! :lol:

I tried a few different things that seemed to work for a few days, but that was it. And, since winter is (hopefully) almost over, I'll try some other things next year.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Better late than never, LOL....
I have a pair of alpaca socks that are amazing!! I LOVE them. Can you wear alpaca? I only wear them when it is less than 30 and I'm outside for a while. I'm CONSTANTLY cold, so for me that is a big deal to only wear them in temps like that.
The other thing that I recently discovered is the pair of Merrel hiking boots I got at the REI attic sale are SOOOO warm! The past couple times that I wore them my feet sweat like crazy while wearing my Ingenious socks (awesome socks, too, btw, my sister gets them for me, don't know where though). So maybe getting a different pair of boots, or boot liners would help more.
Yesterday I had to be in the cold while the horses got trimmed. It was less than 35, WINDY, and we were in the barn on an paved floor. I was wearing my merrel boots, ingenious socks, fleece pants, ski riding breeches, tank top, underarmor cold gear shirt, long sleeve tshirt, hoodie sweatshirt, down jacket, my fleece gator (LOVE that thing!) and mountain horse insulated gloves. Just standing around my feet were cold, but once I got moving I was roasting, even my feet were hot that night when I was feeding!

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Better late than never, LOL....
I have a pair of alpaca socks that are amazing!! I LOVE them. Can you wear alpaca? I only wear them when it is less than 30 and I'm outside for a while. I'm CONSTANTLY cold, so for me that is a big deal to only wear them in temps like that.
The other thing that I recently discovered is the pair of Merrel hiking boots I got at the REI attic sale are SOOOO warm! The past couple times that I wore them my feet sweat like crazy while wearing my Ingenious socks (awesome socks, too, btw, my sister gets them for me, don't know where though). So maybe getting a different pair of boots, or boot liners would help more.
Yesterday I had to be in the cold while the horses got trimmed. It was less than 35, WINDY, and we were in the barn on an paved floor. I was wearing my merrel boots, ingenious socks, fleece pants, ski riding breeches, tank top, underarmor cold gear shirt, long sleeve tshirt, hoodie sweatshirt, down jacket, my fleece gator (LOVE that thing!) and mountain horse insulated gloves. Just standing around my feet were cold, but once I got moving I was roasting, even my feet were hot that night when I was feeding!
OMG!! I am SUPER claustrophobic and reading the list of clothing that you had on almost made me pass out! I would have a panic attack with that many layers of clothing. I usually choose to be somewhat cold when going outside for short periods because I have to have loose clothing. If I am going to be out for awhile, it takes me forever to get dressed. I have to put on a layer, wait a few minutes to get comfortable with that before I can add another layer. Nothing tight, nothing touching my neck. Have to be able to freely wiggle my toes. Nothing restrictive for my arms/shoulders (it is a royal pain to find a coat that is comfortable - I prefer capes/ruannas/serapes. I have an alpaca serape that is so awesomely warm. I can really only handle one pair of socks so finding the right boot is key for me.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
LOL, I would so die if I couldn't wear layers of clothes... I HATE it, but if I don't I'm so uncomfortable that I can't stand it :(
It was windy on Sunday, but sunny, I had on my jeans, a sweatshirt and a long sleeve tshirt, I had to go back for a windbreaker (didn't do much good...) and my ear warmer so I could work outside. I finally gave up because I didn't want to put on any more layers.
I'm SOOOO ready for SPRING!!
Deb, I vote we just move somewhere warmer!!!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, it's getting warmer out now, so it's not too much of a problem. I even rode the bike today!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for next winter (now you have sme time to save up) look for rabbit, alpaca or llama wool socks, the allergy is to lanolin...so what you need is a lanolin free wool...they wont be cheap (and you may have to get them custom) but oh my they are lovely and warm and soft lol.
im lanolin sensitive myself and have no issues with rabbit, alpaca or llama...i can also handle low lanolin wools like wool form the navajo churro sheep, romey, california red/varigated and shetland wool doesnt bother me either
acrylic "wool" is also a good option

im going to have to try the nylon stocking trick. my toes are cold form mid fall to mid spring lol

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I tried the nylons, and my feed weren't any warmer. :/