KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
will it work with pasteurized milk? (it's illegal to sell or buy raw milk in ohio... :rolleyes: and I won't have milk goats for a while...)

I know I tried store bought milk for cheese and it worked...

And where would I get these types of grains at?

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bumping up again....

I've read most of the thread, but not all....couple questions...

1) I know raw milk is best, but I'm not sure on my ability to FIND it around here. I had a few leads, but they fell through :(. Would any milk work? I don't drink milk ever, but the kid and the hubby both drink Vitamin D like it's going out of style. I think if it tasted like sour cream, I'd be more into it :) (I like buttermilk as well).

2) Are there stores that sell kefir grains? We have a Foods for Living store about half hour from here. I know I can order it online, but I'm running short on time before the big knife day (surgery on Valentines day). I'd LIKE to get a jump start on the IV antibiotics I'll have to be on and get a few doses in me.

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am wondering can a person buy the raw milk and freeze it in small portions to use,,then just thaw one portion a day to mix with the grains,this shouldnt hurt the grains should it? I have a source for cow and a source for goat milk,but they are to far away to go every couple days.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you can get raw milk by all means use it - cow, goat, water buffalo, whatever you have. If you can't get it use what you can get ;). And freezing it isn't a problem. I buy organic whole milk, homogenized and pastuerized, because that is my best option at this time, where I am. I buy several gallons at a time, and freeze it in amounts useful for my small family. This previously frozen milk is used on my DH's morning cereal, it is used for making yogurt and kefir, and I use it in my cooking, just as I would non-frozen milk.
Booker81 - it doesn't look as though anyone answered your question. I have never seen kefir grains for sale in stores (not to say there aren't any, just that I haven't seen them). You can get them through mail/internet order, or find a friend who has some.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
ORChick said:
If you can get raw milk by all means use it - cow, goat, water buffalo, whatever you have. If you can't get it use what you can get ;). And freezing it isn't a problem. I buy organic whole milk, homogenized and pastuerized, because that is my best option at this time, where I am. I buy several gallons at a time, and freeze it in amounts useful for my small family. This previously frozen milk is used on my DH's morning cereal, it is used for making yogurt and kefir, and I use it in my cooking, just as I would non-frozen milk.
Booker81 - it doesn't look as though anyone answered your question. I have never seen kefir grains for sale in stores (not to say there aren't any, just that I haven't seen them). You can get them through mail/internet order, or find a friend who has some.
I have seen grains for sale on Craigslist too. :)

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORChick said:
awesome !!! thanks!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So today my kefir got some extra duty. Being St Patrick's Day I felt a need to make some soda bread. Lacking buttermilk I called on the kefir jar. I have used yogurt in the past, but today I was also lacking yogurt. Worked like a charm. And then, last-minute-ish, I thought that I would like some horseradish with my corned beef - just a little, as DH doesn't like it. So I dug up a couple of small roots from the garden, ground them fine, with a bit of vinegar, in the blender, and (lacking sour cream) mixed in a bit of kefir (after straining out most of the vinegar). Sour cream would have been better(sour cream is always better :lol:), but this was quite good. :)

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bumping this as there's a lot of great info for "new-to-Kefir" users, like I am (will be in a few days). :)

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had kefir grains and I did something that caused them to die. Make sure you keep a wee bit seperate in the fridge. I wish I had. I miss my grains.

Latest posts