KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks, I strained it about 9am. It was about perfect. The interesting thing is when I strain I usually end up with about 2 tbsp of creamy looking cottage cheese stuff. I know there is one small grain in there somewhere. :D So I just keep on trucking.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okay.. I can't take it anymore! Where is a good place to get them from? I have to try now, all the smart people in my life ( you guys) are doing it, I have to now too!

BriteChicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ditto what Rebecka said plus my doctor recomended it so now I have to try it! Will someone please send me a grain or two? I hope what Dace said about not getting sick very often works too because I get sick all the time and if drinking Kefir will help I'll do it every day! :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think my grains are in any condition to share. To be honest I am not sure my grains are growing. I think I may just be using kefir t make kefir if that's possible.

I know there are some around here who know how to dehydrate their grains and when they have extra they will share. If you are in a hurry kefir grains are available on line.

even on Dom's web site.
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefir_cheese.html

good luck, gina

BriteChicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hey Gina I'm not in that big a hurry. I actually don't have any milk right now so that's sorta a buzz kill I LOVE milk. Along with telling me that I should be drinking kefir Doc also told me that because of my celiac I should only drink Raw milk. I don't have the land for even goats right now so I've been trying to get it from a farm in TN but one of their cows is pregnant at the moment so they have signifigantly less... I can't wait till she has her calf!!! :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This should probably be on another thread but I find it interesting that your doc told you to drink raw for celiacs. How are the two related? I do see how raw will boost your immune system, and I know my Sis in law has described her celiacs as an auto immune thing... Most of her medical mumbo jumbo goes over my head. :hide But I think I get the reasoning.

By the way I use store bought milk, not raw. I hope someday to talk my dh into goats but for now it's a no go. so I still get the good beasties in the kefir just not the great milk.

Raw here in San Diego runs about 7 dollars a half gallon. :ep Not going to happen. :idunno

gina

BriteChicken

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'll start a new thread if I should but I can make it a pretty quick digression if allowed...

He doesn't like Processed foods and tells all his Celiac spru patients not to trust them. In particular for MILK he said something about the molecular change during Pasturization? And I'm trying to like more natural and locally anyways so I don't mind except when they don't have milk ya know? Plus I get a Gallon for $2.50 :p

And she's right it is an auto immune disease where if we eat Wheat, rye, barley or sometimes even Oats in lemans terms:

Our intestines see it as a threat and basically attack themselves! :ep

Edit for smiley that didn't work...

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, I think I'm interested. I'm sure it'll be good for my son (Aspergers, so possible "leaky gut" but I haven't switched to GFCF anything, and he has to take lactaid in order to eat cheese/drink milk - or at least if he wants to not be very smelly :tongue) and I know it'd be good for me too - if I can convince my tastebuds (who won't eat yogurt) to give it a go....

We love sour cream in these parts, so tell me more about doing that?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
It tastes exactly like sour cream just a bit runnier. You can strain it a bit with cheese cloth or strain it a lot to make cream cheese.

Store bought milk is fine until you can find a "fresh" unpasteurized source.