KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Thank's to both of you. I think I will just keep going. Like I said it seems to be doing it's thing.

Doing some reading on making kefir leban blue cheese. Going to try and find myself a bamboo steamer. :drool

Keep you fingers crossed for me. :fl

gina
If it works, please make a new recipe thread for us!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know of only one sure-fire way to kill kefir grains (there are certainly others, but I don't know them :)) - rinse them in chlorinated water, and they are goners. But keep them in milk and they are fine; I use pasteurised milk, because that is what I can get, and they do well; I have used 1% and 2% (before I knew better) and they did well; I have used ultra-pasteurised (by mistake) and they did well. It sounds to me as though, quite possibly, some of yours escaped during the straining stage. The very best way that I have found to strain the kefir is with my fingers. That way none of them can masquerade as curds, because I can feel the difference. Even the tiny ones are hard to miss.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The ones I got from Free were really small too, and i thought I had lost them too. I put what i thought might be the kefir grains into another jar of milk, and continued to do so, and they are starting to swell up a bit already. Just give it some time, as long as its doing what it is suppposed to be doing.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm a kefir noob. :D A friend brought me some grains and I made my first qt of kefir on Monday. I didn't care for it plain, but I've made kefir smoothies (with a banana and some berries) and it's really good!

I'll be making more this weekend. I'll probably be the only one drinking it, hubby thinks it's weird. :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
kefir question,

Up until now the kefir has been very mild and not lumpy or anything. But today and yesterday I have had something more like cottage cheese with water in the bottom. I know this has to be kinda normal I found a pic on line that looks just the same.

Ok heres a picture,
333_img_1739.jpg

This is not normal. Did it get left to long? Is th warm weather affecting it? It looks kinda like curds and whey? Is my grain DOA?

so I strained it. Found my tiny little grain an put it in fresh milk. I guess I will check it early tomorrow.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Sometimes mine will do that if I leave it too long and the house is warmer than normal.

Tell us how it looks in 24 hours.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's kinda what I thought. We will see how the fresh milk looks tomorrow morning. That would be less that 24hr.

thanks, gina

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It's fine, as long as it passes the sniff test..but it looks ok. It just kefir'd faster than normal.

Latest posts