KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Tee-hee! Mine have multiplied so much lately that they will form a raft on top and the bottom milk stays milky and not kefir-y unless I shake the jar gently mid-day. I recently removed most of them and dried them so now I have a safety net if I kill mine. I had to take some more out and they are drying, so if anyone needs some, check in with me.

The ones in the jar loved all the new room they have and are outgrowing it already! Yes, this is the easiest ferment on the list. My kitchen gets quite cold and quite warm and those grains just keep on kefir-ing!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Tee-hee! Mine have multiplied so much lately that they will form a raft on top and the bottom milk stays milky and not kefir-y unless I shake the jar gently mid-day. I recently removed most of them and dried them so now I have a safety net if I kill mine. I had to take some more out and they are drying, so if anyone needs some, check in with me.

The ones in the jar loved all the new room they have and are outgrowing it already! Yes, this is the easiest ferment on the list. My kitchen gets quite cold and quite warm and those grains just keep on kefir-ing!
Too funny free. :p How/where are you storing your dried (or are they semi dried?) grains?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
They are in a tiny glass jar in the freezer, with the date clearly written on the ziploc that they are in. I don't have powdered milk, so they will just have to tough it out..... :D

They are thoroughly dried. I put them between paper towels in a basket on a bookshelf near....but not too near....my very drying woodstove.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good to know! I'll move it back to the kitchen tonight.
I had almost complete coagulation when I changed it out last night. The grain is even "fluffier" or springier.

Free, I wonder what a swab test would turn up at your place. I bet you have a ton of good beasties floating around. All of your ferments just seem to take off. :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I bumped my jar size up from an 8 oz-er to a 16.

Then I started wondering if I could cut my fatty little grain in half and give to a dear friend whose family
I have just put on track
for a healthier diet!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Free, I wonder what a swab test would turn up at your place. I bet you have a ton of good beasties floating around. All of your ferments just seem to take off. :)
A swab test would also reveal a lot of dust, wood ash, and cat hair! :lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
I bumped my jar size up from an 8 oz-er to a 16.

Then I started wondering if I could cut my fatty little grain in half and give to a dear friend whose family
I have just put on track
for a healthier diet!
Dace, if your grain (you only have one lump so far?) is doing what you need it to do, with a bit extra, as it sounds like it is, then certainly you can divide it for your friend. I imagine cutting would be fine, though I usually pull the big ones in half. Later on, when you have more than you need, or can give away, then you can add them to the blender for your smoothies, to get an added boost of probiotics, or you can feed them to the animals. My hens think they are a treat!

(Off topic here - anyone else ever notice how out of date Spellcheck is? Probiotic is not a word it accepts :lol:)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ok great. Mine does not seem to be growing as fast as Free's are....maybe I need more beasties floating around!