KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I realized at one point that I was letting the tiny baby grains escape during straining so they never had the chance to grow up big and strong. Now I tend to capture them all and they grow SO fast! I stopped using my fingers and made a specialized strainer with a plastic bottle and a smallish drill bit. I inspect it for escapees and scoop them into the kefir. There are gazillions of them....look closer next time you strain.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Oh! I don't strain, I just scoop out the little glob, and plop it into a clean new jar and fill up with new milk.

I will start straining!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ok; what does everyone's kefir look like when it is done?? Pictures?

Mine is still in the rehydrating stages, so I'm curious.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm new to the whole kefir thing too. I had my second drinkable batch this morning - it reminds me more of buttermilk than yogurt. The curd and whey seperated - the whey sinking to the bottom and the curd floating to the top. I read somewhere that this is how I would know it is ready.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I agree with BB....I need pictures, and the step by step process. I've been reading how everyone is using Kefir, and did start following the blog someone posted, however I would still like some first hand info from those on here who use it. Start to...finish?....pics, the whole nine yards. Am I asking too much? :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from, but really, kefir is probably the easiest thing I've ever made in my entire life! Drop it in milk, put it on the counter, strain it out the next day, repeat. Seriously, that is it!

Dom's site has lots of pictures, anyone know the address?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
:/

It takes four to seven days to be completely re-hydrated and start doin its proper stuff right?

So far I am on day four. It smells ok, pretty yeasty. The top is bubbly and creamy. The main grain stays up at the top.
I tasted a little bit today; vile and vomit. Bleh! :sick

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is still in the "throw it to the dogs" stage, they love vile and vomit. :sick

The grains will float....it is a good idea to gently swirl the jar now and then if you happen to think of it. But not critical.

You will know when it is edible.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks Monique!

You know how I get, first time and all that.

It is pretty easy so far, I guess I'm just impatient :p
For straining I just put some clean cloth over the top, rubber band it around the rim, and pour it all out so I capture all of the grains. Very easy! I tried fishing out with a spoon but that didn't work too well.