KEFIR grains-Mind if we give them their own thread?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Thanks Monique!

You know how I get, first time and all that.

It is pretty easy so far, I guess I'm just impatient :p
For straining I just put some clean cloth over the top, rubber band it around the rim, and pour it all out so I capture all of the grains. Very easy! I tried fishing out with a spoon but that didn't work too well.
BB, you may also be catching a lot of the curd by straining this way. I can't say if that is necessarily a bad thing, but two thoughts spring to mind. One, by not straining out so much of the finished kefir you are lowering your yield. And two, you will have some of the "old stuff" sitting in your kefir jar making the new stuff more sour, and, possibly, not so pleasant - depending on your tastebuds. Personally I find straining it through any kind of device doesn't work so well. I pour the stuff into a bowl, and with clean fingers just fish out the grains. I can tell by feel which are grains, and which are curds. Takes only a moment, and is the best way for me.
I hope you find you like it once the initial re-hydrating process is finished :)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hm.. That would make sense...

Thanks! I'll have to take the into account once it is finally done and I can taste it. I might have to use bigger jars that I can fit my hand in if that's the case..

So far there are just a couple spoon fulls after I strain, so nothing too significant - yet.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can pour it from one jar to another through your fingers, if you have good aim! Or use a big funnel to help with that.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
O.K. got my grains(thanks Free), got them in a jar with milk.

now just waiting.......

This is going to be a fun journey.

Thanks for the link Free what a site,that guy is half nuts, but full of info.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have had my Kefir grains....for 2 weeks now...and WOW, does ANYONE need any?? I mean, for real!! I have about 2 cups...LARGE Kefir grains. Just let me know how to send them, and I will...I just dont know what else to do with all of these...I mean...are they part mice?? They just grow...and grow....and grow!!! :lol:

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Here is the page with pictures and even a sort of video (you'll see what I mean.) More than you ever need to know about kefir!
http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefir-faq.html
Wow - that's alot of info! Thank you Freemotion! The kefir grains you sent are doing wonderfully. I can hardly wait to try out a few recipes. Any Suggestions?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Merle, I keep mine in canning jars. My grains float n the top and it is really easy to scoop them out with a fork or a spoon, and plop them into the next clean jar.

I tried straining and found it to be more complicated!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, I have a question....whats wrong with this Kefir grain???
Here is a pic of the "normal" ones....next to a wide mouth canning band....
99_kefirregular.jpg

Then, there is this one. Its flat, and HUGH!
99_kefirhugh.jpg

Should I NOT use this one? Its....just...unsettling....the shape, and flatness of it.