Kefir - I LIKE it! And question....

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, before I ask how to get some grains, let me double-check that it's okay to make it with store-bought, pastuerized, homogenized milk. It is, isn't it? I still haven't found a source for raw milk :(

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hope it is, because that is what I've been doing for the last 4 years or so :lol: I don't have a lot of option here, and unlike so many here I don't really want goats :)hide Did I say that?). I don't particularly like kefir myself, but it is so very good for one that I continue to keep it going. I make smoothies for myself, and pour some over some oats as a morning treat for the chickens. I've found that for me it is more palateable if I strain out the grains, and put the strained kefir in a separate jar, screw the lid on tight, and let it do a secondary fermentation for another day or so - so I have 2 jars going all the time, one with grains and fresh milk, and one with yesterday's ferment. After that second ferment the kefir smells and tastes more like cultured buttermilk to me, and I prefer it that way.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you PM me your address I think I still have some grains that I dehydrated last year. I'll look, to be sure. If I don't, there are others here who might be able to help.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
Done! Now to dig up that kefir thread and reread it over and over!
Got it! And I do still have some grains; I'll get them out next week.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would love to know how to dehydrate the grains. My kefir is starting to grow really fast. I have heard about putting it in the freezer. I don't know which but be best.