keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I guess it will just have to be the first floor bedroom for a hen house for The Ladies, I'm afraid!! wink lau (I am only half kidding here...)
What a sight that would be! House chickens!

We got a dusting of snow this morning, but more is predicted to come from the southwest this weekend.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Hey, Becca - it HAS been known to happen here!! :lol: I think all of The Ladies have spent time indoors at some point in their lives.....

One winter we were consistently at minus teens and 20's so everyone got at least 1 or 2 days inside for check ups to make sure they were doing well.

I won't confess to how many pics I have of Ladies sitting on the furniture (with towels underneath them, of course) :D

We got about 4 inches of snow - but it sounds like another winter storm is headed this way. By the sounds of the reports I heard, it sounds like you and QA will get the brunt of this one! Stay warm and safe!

edited for typos

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Titan is having a rough time this winter. To get out of the house he has to go down 5 or 6 steps. His back legs and hips seem to be giving him some problems. The vet says it is normal for his age and that most large breeds are known to have hip problems. Unfortunately, she can't tell more without an ultrasound/x-ray, which at the moment is out of the question, budget-wise. She is telling us not to worry, since he is not eating or drinking any more or less than normal and his other behaviors are still normal.

That's it for us....

Have a great week-end!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
our snow is here. :( They are predicting up to 13 inches for our area.

Belmont County, which is a little South of us was getting an inch an hour around noon. They can keep it!

They've also said we could *possibly* lose our power this weekend. :(

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ya'll stay warm up there - Spring it coming . . . . . . . . .eventually.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are getting dumped on QA and Becca! This winter is really strange for us because normally we have a ton of snow - usually up to my hips by now. I am not missing (and I am pretty sure TR feels the same) the chore of shoveling snow to the barn to change out the waterers.....although that doesn't mean we aren't missing sitting in a warm barn chatting with chickens....

STAY WARM and SAFE!

We got about 4 inches of snow. The wind is about 25 to 30 mph today, so it cuts right through to the bones.

I talked to DD the other day to wish her HB. She said their kitten was acting strange after having been neutered the day before so DD and DGD were getting ready to take the kitten's temp. FUN way to spend a birthday! :lol:

DGD is taking clog dancing lessons - she has had 3 lessons so far and really enjoys it.

Swiss chard is doing well, but the beans haven't come up yet. I was sewing and crocheting yesterday so I haven't planted anything else yet.

Well, I better go get stuff done.

Stay warm and have a great week-end!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
keljonma, Sorry to hear Titan is having trouble moving around. When our black lab started having a hard time moving around, we started giving her glucosamine. It helped her a lot. They make it for dogs. You might try it, to see if it'll make Titan feel better.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
keljonma, Sorry to hear Titan is having trouble moving around. When our black lab started having a hard time moving around, we started giving her glucosamine. It helped her a lot. They make it for dogs. You might try it, to see if it'll make Titan feel better.
Hey, FD! Titan is already getting glucosamine.... any other tips you can think of ?? The vet said she can't feel any abnormality in Titan's hip area.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey K,

I'm so sorry about Titan. The same thing is happening to my big dog. She is about 11 now. I started a thread on it if you are interested: http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4348

Hope this helps.
-Sally

ETA: I bought this stuff: hyaluronic acid, here is a link: http://www.beyondbeds.com/index.asp..._Acid_Google&gclid=CJOAuumem58CFRT6agodI2E_mg and have been giving it to her once a day for the last 3 weeks now. I have noticed a huge difference. I'm getting ready to buy some more.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
OUR BURGANDY (GREEN) BEANS ARE SPROUTING!! :weee

Freezing cold and windy here... with the wind chill we are looking at 0 to -2. The sun is shining... so it isn't too bad inside the house sitting in the sun.......... which is what Titan has been doing this week-end! :lol: I can't blame him!

TR wasn't feeling well on Saturday, so we went to the library and borrowed some movies and books and came home to relax. Yesterday we went to church but declined to join the UMCF couples group for the Super Bowl Sunday gathering. We stayed home and had soup instead.

We attended an all-church meeting yesterday afternoon after 2nd worship. Our congregation voted to build an 8000 sq ft educational/office wing on the eastern side of the church.

All the staff offices will be in the new wing (they are in 3 separate places of the church now) AND we will gain 10 more classrooms, and 2 or 3 additional bathrooms. This means that some of our small group ministries won't have to change their meeting place every week - they will have dedicated space. The children's Sunday classes will be moved up from the basement.

Since the church already has 1/3 of the money for the project in the bldg endowment fund, building will start soon! It is a very exciting time at JUMC....

I purchased some various basil seeds this week-end and hope to get them planted this week....