keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ohhh! Look how big and fat your queen is. May she bring you LOTs of babies! Great looking hive. If you dont mind sharing.. where did you get it?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Glad you all enjoyed TR's photos! :D

Yesterday I checked to make sure the queen was released from her cage.... and .... she was! :clap

And the center frame is almost completely beautiful white beeswax on both sides. TR got some more great pics! I have a pic of the beeswax, but forgot to upload it to my flash drive before coming to the library.

I did not see the queen this visit.... my next check will be to see if the queen is laying properly and cells are being filled.

Have a great day! We have high 70s today and sun and 80 predicted for tomorrow!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
TR and I have lots of seedlings ready to go, but so far have only gotten the strawberries, beans and peas planted so far. Memorial Day is traditional planting for our part of the state, so we will definitely hold off planting tomatoes and peppers and less hardy plants.

Enjoying our 80 weather! Have a great day!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Saturday - Today's high is 45 and we have 55 mph winds. Hard to believe that yesterday was close to 60 and last week in the high 70s and low 80s!

I got my Mother's Day presents from TR already - a couple of cute Bee shirts - from http://bee-tees.com/

I got one in white:
Bee
inspired

and one in lavender
Bee
lieve

Yesterday was Bob's funeral. The service was at our church at 1 pm, with burial and luncheon afterward in another town. TR & I helped Pat with the food prep and service for the luncheon. We had to be at our church by 11:15 to gather up all the food and equipment we would need to fix the food at the community center where the luncheon was being held.

While we didn't get a chance to attend the funeral service, everyone said it was a very nice service, celebrating Bob's life. Pastor Meredith led the service, and Pastor Josh sang one of Bob's favorite hymns. At the grave site, there was a Naval honor guard and bagpiper. We heard there were close to 200 people at church/cemetery and so we had enough food for that number of people. I think we served 150 meals.

Well, I have to run..... stay warm and dry

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Thanks, Dace! I hope your day was as terrific as mine!

We almost never go out to eat... but was so busy planting more seeds, TR decided we should go out for Mom's day, since it was getting late. I picked - get this - Waffle House.... :lol: TR couldn't believe it!

Saturday we had very high winds. Yesterday we had reports that a cold front was on its way. So I reduced the hive entrance and made sure the bees had sugar syrup and some pollen patty.

We had a hard frost last night and TR had to scrape ice off the windshield this morning to get to work. I didn't cover the scarlet runner bean plants well enough, and today they are looking a bit scraggly. The blueberry bushes look fine.

Today we have temps in the mid 50s and sunshine. But the wind is still blowing about 30 mph. The bees were out though, amongst the dandelions in the yard.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
In the 50s but pouring down buckets of rain today.

Sadly I saw one to two dead bees near the hive entrance. I could hear the hive buzzing when I put my head next to the super. So I decided to stand by the side of the hive to watch for a while. A worker bee came out and got plopped on the head by rain drops. She then fell to the hive stand and curled up and died. :hit

TR tells me that we are supposed to be in the 70s by Sunday.... I hope so! :fl

Our friends Pat and Ron will be leaving soon for their son Matt's wedding in June. Matt works for Orphan Relief and Rescue in Liberia. Matt is marrying a Liberian, Alvina, who has just graduated from nursing school. As part of their wedding present, the women of our church are knitting and crocheting teddy bears for the children at the orphanages ORR sponsors. It has been an interesting project, as I have never attempted knitting teddy bears before...... :p

Here is a link for Orphan Relief and Rescue. Their Blog has a lot of great information in it.
http://www.orphanreliefandrescue.org/

This Saturday evening our UMC Couples Fellowship group is going to the local Arts Center to see a performance. One of the members of our church is dancing and another is the choreographer. TR and I haven't decided whether or not we will be joining the group this time.

Tomorrow TR is off work, so while I clean the church kitchen, he is going to be stripping the floor in the church that goes from the back door to the sanctuary. Then Sandy (the temporary church custodian while Tom is on medical leave) will put down new wax.

edited for typos...... :rolleyes: :p

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I'm sorry you lost a couple bees. Do you only have the one hive?

:fl that all this rain stops and we get some nice sun shiney weather!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Yeah, only one hive, QA. How is your mom's beekeeping going?

The hive is still buzzing, which seems to be a good sign according to all my books and my beek club mentor.

I am hoping for sun as well, however, the immediate forecast is for 70s and more rain. Right now we are in the upper 50s and the rain has stopped for a bit. If this keeps up, we may not have any pollen source for the bees. On Sunday, I refilled the Miller feeder and saw there was still over 1/3 of a pollen patty left. I have a spare pollen patty in the freezer that I may end up feeding to the bees this spring. (The bees need a carb source (sugar syrup) as well as a protein source (pollen) for raising brood.)

Between the 12th and the 15th I am supposed to check the queen laying pattern...and possibly add a super, so we definitely need some good weather for that.

TR and I got to the church by 7 this morning. I worked in the kitchen for 2 hours and then did some volunteer cleaning until noon. My agreement with the church is that I can get paid for up to 2 hours of kitchen cleaning per week. TR is on special assignment, so he will get paid for all the time he works.

TR was still stripping the old wax in the main hall from the sanctuary to the back door when I left church. Sandy is helping him, as the old baseboards are being replaced and years of gunk under the baseboards has to be removed with the old floor wax before the new wax can be applied. I think he is going to be there all day.

TR's sister in Argentina tells us that the hotel is for sale. Since she bought the hotel 5 years ago, she has made many major improvements - plumbing, electrical, interior decor, landscaping and security system. So far she has had two or three interested parties. One couple has been to the hotel 3 or 4 times now, always with new questions, so she is hopeful that the hotel will sell soon. This sister, who has left the US in the mid 1980's to live in London, is actually thinking of moving back to the US!