keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We got the 2 inches of snow that was forecast the other day and our temps have been winter-like! Yesterday we started warming back up into the high 40s and today we are actually supposed to be near 60! The snow at least is gone; but the temp this morning was only 33, even though the forecast calls for temps in the 60s this week. Thankfully, the sun is shining again, which is a great mood elevator! :)

The garden seems very dull with snow.... We left amaranth and millet in the garden for the wild birds, but haven't really seen much action out there lately because of the sleet/snow. I saw that many of the sunflowers we left standing have very little seed left in them, so either the birds or the squirrels and mice have been eating them.

Titan seems to be doing well, all things considered; but he now seems to have a cold. I have been thinking about running the vaporizer with some eucalyptus in it for him at nights. His appetite is still very good for an old man.

TR is working modified nights this week, so I did some volunteer work this morning on the county HALO Christmas project and am doing personal projects at the library now. TR is helping his friend Don with some landscaping projects during the days that he is working modified nights, and planning to go to his hospital job right after. TR has Thursday off work at the hospital this week, and I am sure that we will probably need it to catch up on some much needed rest. :D

The United Methodist Women's chili dinner a week ago Friday was a HUGE success! Aside from the 180 people served, a number of people purchased pre-sale tickets and did not show up. Plus we had some people come in for carry out, because they saw the sign in front of the church offering them. We only had a couple quarts of beef chili and about 2 1/2 quarts of vegetarian chili left over. The leftovers were used last Tuesday in addition to the soup for Christian Cafe. The meal was submarine sandwiches with soup, salad and all the other fixings that go with a Cafe meal. I think there were 175 meals served at Christian Cafe. I helped with clean up and TR helped bus tables before we went to our classes.

Yesterday at church was the SERRV and Living Markets (Heifer International project), and Habitat For Humanity and Nothing But Nets were represented as well. There was a great turn out and I think the day was very successful for the charities represented. I made 14 chicken ornaments for the 5th grade Sunday school class and they sold them along with homemade peeps and hard-cooked eggs. The children seem to really get involved. The ornaments were a big hit. The 4th grade class asked if I would make bee ornaments for next year's Living Market. :p

I worked the SERRV Market table with Samantha, and we sold a little more than 1/3 of the items we picked from the catalogue. The Living Market is only held for 1 Sunday, but the SERRV market is also being held next Sunday, so we have another opportunity to sell more of the items we chose on consignment. I think next year we would be better off having more members of the congregation pre-ordering what they want from the catalogue. All the money we make from sale is donated back to SERRV; but it would be nice to make a larger donation.

This Friday is the last session of the Why Jesus study, and we will be discussing resurrection. This study has been pretty popular, with the attendance averaging 20 people. Last Friday's IAMSECOND video was Josh Harnell*? (not sure about that last name) from Texas Rangers. He had a great testimony about his life with drugs and alcohol and how turning to God got his life turned around.

Next Monday starts the John Ortberg study, The Me I Want To Be. I have signed up for this new study, but now am wondering how I will get 3 studies done every week, with the Beth Moore Sunday class study and the Tuesday night book of Hebrews study. Anyway, I'm not really worried, because I'm sure God will help me figure it out. :D

In the recent election the Library levy did not pass, but the count was *so* very close that by the time the provisional votes are counted, it may have passed. We won't know until later this month. There was lots of number crunching going on in the library in the days right after the election, and some talk of charging a fee for a public library card (they are now free in Ohio). I am praying that the provisional votes change the results to a Passed Levy.

Well, I guess I better get some work done here before TR shows up!

Have fun!

edited for typos

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
fee for a library!!?!? wow ... well.. i guess thats one way to handle the problem. hope they get it sorted out.

i heard about your snow - we didnt get any and now i'm in shorts!

:)
ps dont you just love heifer intl??!?!? what a great organization!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw a dusting of snow on my car overnight, but Saturday was decent enough day here. It was cold, but they did get the room framed up at QA's house. Nice to see the progress.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We've been in the low 30s at night - mornings have been foggy and frosty. We've actually been near 60 every day this week and the sun has been shining! It is really beautiful autumn weather! :D

I decided to give the bees pollen patty this week, since there is nothing around for them to gather anymore.

The 5th grade Sunday class raised $70 from the chicken ornaments I donated. They also had other items for sale (hard cooked eggs & homemade peeps), so I think they raised the most money last Sunday for Heifer. They also had people just donate for flocks of chickens.

I made the chickens to look like real breeds and people came up after buying ornaments to ask me what breeds they represented. :lol: I had a great time with the project.

TR is off today and this week-end, so we did some projects around the house and tomorrow changing the oil and brakes on the car. Fun!

Have fun!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is great that the sale was a success.

I am finally getting out tomorrow. DH and I are going to the National Poultry Show in Columbus. We will do our chores in the morning and then go in the afternoon. I'm looking forward to it. Especially since I have been spreading limestone in the barn all week. I had to replenish the limestone for the barn flooring. So today I'm tired but glad that I got a lot done.

I didn't realize that there was stuff like a pollen patty to give to bees. Interesting. Hopefully they have enough honey for themselves for the winter.

The weekend is supposed to be nice so have a nice weekend. :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Sounds like you are a busy bee (hehehe)

I would love to see a pic of your chicken ornaments...can you describe them? You are such sweet lady to be doing that for the kids, they must love you!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
For some unknown reason our digital camera is acting up. The battery says it is fully charged, yet when we try to snap a pic, we get an "empty battery" error message. So I am still trying to figure that one out. I do have some pics on my phone, but they aren't very clear... I will see if I can improve the image any before posting. I just completed a Lakenvelder ornament (which I don't have a picture of yet) which turned out quite wonderfully.... :lol: I will post pics when I can.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
These pics are from my phone, so they aren't the best quality.....

New Hampshire ornament

201011061610001.jpg

White Face Black Spanish - still working on this one ....

201011061611005.jpg

Delaware

201011061611003.jpg

Chick ornament - made with chenille yarn to make the chick look fuzzy :D

201011061609001.jpg

Group shot of ornaments

201011061613000.jpg