keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Lori, when TR and I knew we were moving, I planted EVERYTHING in containers. TR joked that the moving van had more garden plants in it than furniture. :lol:

I have the thermostat in the house set just below 50. Last night's low temps of upper 30s caused the furnace to go on last night. We have old steam radiators and they make quite a racket when they first come on.

However, I don't think TR heard a thing, as the poor boy is sick again! Yesterday I took him to the doctor and TR got a shot and a couple meds, as well as a note keeping him home from work until tomorrow. While I say TR is sick *again*, the doc says that this is just a continuation of the crud (we thought it was the flu) that TR had last week.

Tonight is the first of a 4 part class called Why Jesus, which is being facilitated by our associate pastor, Quincy. TR and I signed up for this class, but TR will be staying home.

I made some of my very peppermint bars for the class, and a couple other people are bringing snacks as well. I think Pat might bring Kel's pumpkin cheesecake recipe. I haven't posted these recipes, because they are being used in or were created for the new cookbooks I am working on.

A local butcher shop had locally grown beef on sale for $2/pound, so I bought about 6 pounds. I made a couple meatloaves (1 for the freezer) and then cooked up the rest of the meat, drained it and froze it in 1/2 pound packages. That will make some dinner prep go a bit faster this winter.

Today the girls were bringing orange pollen into the hive. I saw them fighting over the cosmos flowers with the bumble bees today. There is some purple stiff leaved aster about, but it is beginning to look pretty raggy and I did not see many bees on it. There were also a few honeybees on the nasturtiums.

Well, I have to go pick up more caulk so I can get a couple more windows done today before my class.

Have fun!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Will you be collecting any more honey or will this honey be for the bees to keep for the winter?

Your class sounds very interesting. I bet it will be good.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Will you be collecting any more honey or will this honey be for the bees to keep for the winter?
All for the bees at this time of year, I think. As a first year beek, I don't want to harvest only to leave the girls to starve.

We did harvest 9 pounds this year and most will go for Christmas gifts, as I usually do a harvest basket for each of my sisters that live near by. This year's basket will include door draft stoppers made from some of TR's old jean legs. That 36" inseam is a perfect size for door stoppers! :lol:

ksalvagno said:
Your class sounds very interesting. I bet it will be good.
The first class was terrific! The video portion showed snippets from IAMSECOND.COM. Jason somebody (I can't remember his last name) who was on American Idol (a show I have never seen) give his testimony. There were about 20 people in attendance and the discussion was very lively and interesting. So I am looking forward to the 2nd class this Friday night.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
After days of winter-like weather, we have had some 70+ days. The honeybees have been happy, especially as it gives them another chance to do some harvesting of their own before cold weather truly sets in. Yesterday was mostly drizzly until late afternoon.

Today we are overcast and rain is in the forecast. We are getting 50 mph winds, so I spent the morning bringing in the fountain, tables and miscellaneous small stuff from the back porch. I also harvested some more ripe tomatoes and some sunflower seeds.

By tomorrow or Thursday, our high temps are supposed to be back into the mid 50s. TR and I have been caulking and putting up plastic on the windows.

Friday night is the United Methodist Women's Chili Dinner fundraiser. I am making lentil vegetarian chili, an apple pie with streusel top plus chopped pecans and caramel topping, and a sugar-free pumpkin pie. I heard that they are expecting 150 to 200 people, based on the number of pre-sale tickets already sold.

Well, I have to go place the order for the SERRV market.

Have fun!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Temperature hit 77 on Tuesday. Today's high was 49 and tonight's low temp is supposed to be mid 30s. One local radio weather report actually mentioned possibility of the S word tomorrow night.....

We still have 25 to 30 mph winds here and rain is starting to fall.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
With the hard frost we've had the last two nights - the wildflowers and garden flowers are toast! Today we got into the mid 50s and the honeybees were out and about for the first time in a week. I didn't see any pollen being brought back into the hive, though, so there may not be any wildflowers left in the surrounding area.

The temps are supposed to get down into the low 20s by Friday, and the S word is back in the forecast.....

I brought all the green tomatoes in the other day and am hoping to get some green tomato relish made this week-end.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This morning I saw the news and they said that there could be 2" of snow in the snowbelt. But it should be melted by Sunday. We will see. Hopefully we won't get that much snow. I'm not ready for winter yet. Too many things to get done first.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can keep that snow above the snow belt. QA is supposed to have her work day on Saturday for adding on the family room.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just stopping by to say hi!! Tell Aly I said hello. Best of luck with her Frolic!!

I wish we could split the difference. I'll give you some of the 90 degree heat we have today. Maybe we both could get a 60?

;)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Just stopping by to say hi!! Tell Aly I said hello. Best of luck with her Frolic!!

I wish we could split the difference. I'll give you some of the 90 degree heat we have today. Maybe we both could get a 60?

;)
Now THAT would be nice, Gina! :lol: