keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Here is the Lakenvelder ornament I made. Again - a phone photo, so the quality isn't that great.

201011161509000.jpg

201011161508001.jpg

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The library levy failed by 24 votes!! :hit For us, that means that our library will be closed on Wednesdays; open only 5 days instead of 6 each week. The new hours will start in January.

We have been thinking of trying to make the sun room more passive solar, but haven't had much luck with that project. The room has southern exposure and the entire southern wall is windows. It is the room I start veg seeds in during spring and I keep the container plants in there during winter. One of our friends has some old 12x12" ceramic tiles she wants to get rid of and I thought they would be perfect for the floor. However, that room was originally (1880) an open porch before it was enclosed. After a brief inspection, TR thinks that the support beams for that floor are not in good enough shape to hold the extra weight from the ceramic tiles.

The downstairs bedroom has no heat...because the radiator in the living room is missing, and the bedroom is the next in the steam circuit. Anyway, I use this room as our root cellar, as the temp is there is never higher than 50. Yesterday when I went in there for some onions and potatoes, I noticed that our cabbages are starting to darken. It doesn't look like mold, and is only effecting the outer leaves. But it sure doesn't look pretty. So I chopped up the last two heads and put it in the fridge. We're having bubble and squeak for dinner tonight.

Speaking of cabbage, it has been 2 months since I started the sauerkraut. We had some the other day with brats and it was wonderful. I am going to water bath can the rest of it tomorrow morning.

TR is working today and Tuesday and has Wednesday off. He is supposed to go fishing with his friend Lloyd Wednesday morning, but that depends on the weather....temps may possibly be in the 30s and rain is in the forecast. Lloyd hasn't been feeling well lately (he is 83) and the trip may get canceled due to the weather.

TR has to work 4 hours on Thanksgiving and then we are off to my sister L's. I haven't talked to her lately, because she has been traveling for work, so I need to contact her today to find out what she would like us to bring. My bro-in-law loves to cook, but he always leaves holes in the menu for sister C and I to add our contributions to the meal. Last I heard I was making veg, salad and possibly a dessert. I guess since I have only a few days left, I should get busy! :D

Last week Kel emailed us a bunch of new grandchildren pictures and we have to decide which ones we want by today. Decisions... Decisions!! :lol: I think this is one of my favorites....

1290445184.jpg

Titan is still doing well, but he tends to stay indoors most of the day unless the sun is shining. The honeybees seem to be doing well too. I saw a couple of them out the other day when we hit 60 and the sun was shining. The mums are in full bloom here, but I have been too busy to spend much time sitting by the hives watching activity; so I am not sure if the girls are bringing anything to the hive.

A local woman had a small chicken coop she wanted off her property. Someone at church told her we might be interested. She said she has had chickens for 15 years, but is being very mum about what happened to the flock. It could be that she knows we don't eat chicken, so she is afraid to tell us that. However, it looks like she has never cleaned it. So TR and I have decided against it, as it is possibly contaminated with some disease.

I was going to clean the church kitchen this morning, but we have a funeral there today, so that just didn't happen. The church is fully booked today and tomorrow.

I have The Me I Want To Be study tonight. Tomorrow is my last book of Hebrews study until February. TR has Disciples class tomorrow night. Wednesday morning is the first chance I will have to clean the kitchen.

Wednesday afternoon I have Mary/Martha Circle, where I am currently working on prayer shawls. The one I am carrying around with me now is garter stitch knit in shades of blue. I have another at home that is made with a boucle yarn in a triangular pattern with lacy edges. I have to buy some more yarn for that one, as I was using left over yarn from other shawls.

Wednesday night is the community Thanksgiving Eve church service. This year the service is being held at our church. I am hopeful that I will get a chance to clean the church kitchen on Wednesday morning.

Speaking of projects, I have 10 chicken ornaments completed (one of them being the Lakenvelder pictured earlier). I haven't decided whether to save them for next year's Heifer project/Living Market at church....or sell them. The first Saturday in December is the Koinonia Christmas gathering, and I could donate them for the fund-raising raffle. Although we have a metal rooster TR wants to donate. :p

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You really sound busy! In fact, you sound busy as a bee!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Great pics! Maybe someday I will have some of those grand kid things. :p

I think it was probably good to pass on the coop. Given her being so secretive it probably IS full of disease and vermin.

SO sorry about the cutbacks at your local library. I guess it is just a sign of the times. :/

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
You sound as busy as I am. Isn't it wonderfull to have a hobby, that you can donate to good causes? I used to make "ukrainian" easter eggs and donate them to good causes. I just loved making them, then I ended up with so many, I really had no use for. So I offered them for one of DD's school's fund raisers and continued to donate them for various fundraisers until I ran out of time to spend the hours it takes to make just one.
Hopefully I will have that kind of leisure time again some day.