keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Making Cheesy Egg Bake for dinner tonight. Quick and easy. I'm just about to put it in the oven and dh should be home from work soon.
Is the recipe in the kitchen thread? Sounds yummy :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I thought I had posted this one before. Here it is and I also put it in the What's For Dinner thread.

Cheesy Egg Bake

1 10 1/2 oz can condensed cream of whatever soup (I use celery or mushroom)
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp - 1 T grated or finely chopped onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp prepared mustard
4 oz shredded cheese (Swiss, Cheddar, Parmesan, Colby Jack are good)
6 eggs
6-8 1/2 inch thick slices bread slices, cut in half
Snipped herb (Parsley, Tarragon, Thyme, Oregano, Dill, or Basil)

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a microwave safe bowl, heat the soup, milk, onion and mustard. When hot, stir in cheese, stirring until melted.

Pour 1 cup of sauce into 10 x 6 x 1 baking dish. Break eggs on top of sauce. Spoon remaining sauce around eggs.

Butter both sides of bread and stand slices around baking dish edges, crust up.

Bake till eggs are set, about 20 - 30 minutes. If you like a softer yolk, cook for less time. Sprinkle with herb before serving.

Serves 6, if one egg each.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
xpc said:
Sorry I typed glutton rather than gluten ....

Farmfresh I am sorry for making light of your allergy - I too am not without fault as I am allergic to cats which precludes me from marriage of either gender.

Steering clear of breads and other mixed foods must be a daunting task, plus no beer, I weep for you. Seriously that can not be easy what you have to do and respect you fortitude.
Actually I am still a glutton! :p :D

I suffer from Celiac Sprue which is a genetic disorder (tends to bother people of Scottish descent they say). The protein gluten in wheat, rye, barley and even some oats causes the cilia in the intestine to gum up and not work properly. It causes nutritional absorption problems. If you are allergic it can severely damage your body.

I only discovered my allergy about a year and a half ago. That makes it even harder because I am a baker. I love bread, pretzels and other floury treats. Everything STILL looks like a sandwich to me!

We found out because my D2, seemed to be forever sick in one way or another. Finally her gall bladder simply gave out, at 22 years old, and had to be removed. That is not normal when you are young, thin, and usually eat healthy. The tests proved she was Celiac. Not only that she is COMPLETELY intolerant. She experiences anaflatic shock when she eats gluten. It has sent her to the emergency room several times and she must carry an epi pen always.

My own Celiac response is more typical. Before I was diagnosed I suffered severe acid reflux which is now GONE. If I eat small amounts of gluten I get sick to my stomach, and diarrhea. I also have asthma which has MUCH improved without the gluten.

My mother died at 50 of esophageal cancer which can result from acid reflux and grandma Nettie suffered bleeding ulcers most of her life. I can't help but wonder what their lives would have been without gluten.

I do have a lot of problems eating foods, but probably LESS than some people do just because of being more self sufficient! The hardest thing to avoid is modified food starch! It is EVERYWHERE! Ice cream, pudding, chips, flavorings, canned beans, almost ALL canned soup you name it. I HAVE to be a constant label reader. It is very difficult to eat out other than steak and a baked potato and then I have to watch seasonings on the steak and some of the sour cream and BUTTER have gluten in them! :barnie

Since I am SS I make my own ... of lots of stuff. I have for years. This makes it LOTS easier since the foods I make I know are safe. Then there are more and more things out there for us to eat. Of course the ready made things are EXPENSIVE and I have to buy at a health food store. A ready baked loaf of gluten free bread for example is half the size of a normal loaf of store bread and costs around $5.00 a LOAF! AND it tastes just like foam rubber! :tongue Thank God for my bread machine!

The only normal grains I can eat safely are rice and corn. There are a few other more exotic ones like millet too. But never fear I can drink hard cider! :D

Never fear making light of it. Most people have no idea - I didn't. It does bug me sometimes when I order something plain, plain, plain at a restaurant so I can eat it and they bring it to me with a roll on top or smothered in gravy. When I send it back the waitress sometimes acts miffed at me. What she doesn't realize is that a tiny crumb in the food could actually kill my daughter. It is that serious.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We have so much recycling that we have to go to the dump every 2 weeks. I have started saving all my glass jars to drink water out of instead of plastic ones. I am currently drinking out of a Smuckers Grape Jelly Jar :p

I am glad we don't have to deal with the garbage service anymore.

All this talk of Celiac has got me thinking about my dad. He has severe heartburn and reflux and gets bouts of diarrhea and vomiting. They tested his gall bladder and didn't find anything but I am thinking of telling him to check out celiac.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Your dh doing better? Got that sodium level worked out?
No, the sodium issue is more dismal than ever. He's been to an Endocrinologist who determined that assorted glands are not causing it; ADH not a factor, diabetes insipidus probably not causing it.
Today the Clinic made him an appointment with a Nephrologist with hepatic knowledge. Not a good sign.
The sodium won't remain in the body.
I think he has some brain swelling from symptoms he exhibits.
Thanks for asking.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We got as warm as 56 today, no rain, but grey.

DH's day off is tomorrow. We are going to look at another rental. Weather forecast calls for 68 and sunny. :D