th_10-7-10ChickenWhirlygig.jpg

Honeybees in the garden

th_10-7-10honeybeeoutafter2wksrainC.jpg

th_10-7-10honeybeeoutafter2wksrainB.jpg

th_10-7-10honeybeeoutafter2wksrainA.jpg

Some of our Cockscomb

th_10-7-10CockscombA.jpg

th_10-7-10CockscombB.jpg

A video of the girls in Hive #1 bringing in bright orange pollen, although that really isn't discernible in the video... I think if you click on the link, it will start the video.

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/...iew&current=10-7-10Beevideohive1.mp4&newest=1

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It was a brutal year with the humidity - I'm usually still harvesting this time of year. I haven't had a fresh tomato in almost 2 months :( I may hit up the farm market this weekend for a couple. I find they are tastier this time of year too.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Hey darlin....went to my beek meeting last night and next month we will be placing orders for bees. I have a question for you....did you get a nuc or a package of bees? I am thinking of ordering a nuc and asking for a beginners package for xmas from mama and daddy.

Also, where did you order your hive from?

ALANB.

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
KELJONMA ; What got my interest was the two acres !! I live on the same spread with an additional 1/2 in an old river bed with brush I use for goat shade and brousing . I love to write about self sufficiency , and hope you would like a pen-pal , (I WOULD) I love fresh-cold -Goats milk and milk one daily . I figure She saves me $25.00 dollars a week in the store !! I'm as far south in Calif as you can travel on Hwy. I-10 in Blythe on the Arizona border . Give me a HEY' , to - bebop@i10net.com . Thankyou ...... , ALANB. :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Some hard working bees!

Are you by chance saving any seed from the cockscombs? I would love to have a pinch. :) I used to have some that my Great Aunt grew for years, but I finally lost my start.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Javamama said:
It was a brutal year with the humidity - I'm usually still harvesting this time of year. I haven't had a fresh tomato in almost 2 months :( I may hit up the farm market this weekend for a couple. I find they are tastier this time of year too.
Last Friday was the last Farmers Market for the village near us. We do have a Farm Market store about 15 minutes away, but not everything is locally produced.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Hey darlin....went to my beek meeting last night and next month we will be placing orders for bees. I have a question for you....did you get a nuc or a package of bees? I am thinking of ordering a nuc and asking for a beginners package for xmas from mama and daddy.

Also, where did you order your hive from?
We got a 3# package of Italians from QueenRight Colonies here in Ohio.

Nobody around here (that I am aware of) gets bees before winter, as it is too easy to lose the hive before spring (due to starvation, damp, too small of colony size - all are possible causes of death; not to mention predators and disease).

You may do better starting with a nuc, but you still have to have more than a nuc to get through winter. Of course, you're farther south than we are, so maybe winter is not that big a deal for you. ;) IMHO, a nuc just gives you a little bit of time to get the hive set up.

One caution I have heard about purchasing a beginner hive package is that you get stuff you don't really need (or want) and the smoker in the kit is usually a smaller size than you really want to use. Believe me, keeping a smoker going for the time you need it can be hard enough on its own, without having a smoker that is too small to begin with. :lol:

I got my 10-frame deep hive from QueenRight. The advantage to my getting equipment from QueenRight is that I can go pick it up (is Brushy Mountain close enough to you for a drive?) and I like that Denzel & Sheila dip the assembled equipment in paraffin, so the wood doesn't need painted.

I got my 8-frame medium hive with garden top from Brushy Mountain Bee Farm. When I ordered, BMBF did not offer paraffin dip - they may now, I haven't checked a recent catalogue.

Good luck! Beeking can be very relaxing. (of course that is just my opinion; TR does NOT agree with me! :lol: )

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Some hard working bees!

Are you by chance saving any seed from the cockscombs? I would love to have a pinch. :) I used to have some that my Great Aunt grew for years, but I finally lost my start.
The girls are still out there working, FF! We hit 70 yesterday and we have sun!

I haven't started saving any seed from the cockscomb. They are still in full bloom and a check yesterday shows no seed to save yet. I will keep an eye on them, though, I ordered them hoping they would self-sow. :D

We ordered the seeds from Baker Creek - we got cockscomb and flamingo feather seeds. They are both beautiful in the garden!

http://rareseeds.com/cart/catalog/Cockscomb_And_Celosia-11-1.html

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is Queen Right Colonies in Spencer on 162? That is very close to where I live. Takes about 10 minutes for me to get there.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Is Queen Right Colonies in Spencer on 162? That is very close to where I live. Takes about 10 minutes for me to get there.
YES! I wish they were closer to us - 4 to 4 1/2 hour round trip - depending on road destruction along the way.