Killer Compost/Murderous Mulch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM if your friend can get you wood chips, get all you can! We have power line contractors in our area right now and they have gladly dumped over 30 loads here. We used 20+ already, spreading over the sandy soil we have in an effort to keep it from blowing so bad. We were gifted with 4 year old wood chips and have the garden covered in rich, black, crumbly mulch. We set aside several of the wood chip piles for future garden mulch.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@baymule if you'd like to/when you have time, I would love to see pics etc of what your place looked like when you moved in and how it looks now and all the steps you've taken to get this far. You guys have transformed that property from the sound of things!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you're going to use comfrey medicinally, make sure you have the correct species. Common comfrey is the one you want to use. Not russian or prickly comfrey.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Just a little butter in a fry pan and those would be some serious eats
19430169_126947574558660_2771337538532034749_n.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i've picked way too much trash out of leaves and compost that i won't take any more now without inspecting it first. if it is hand raked leaves i'll take them. leaves picked up by mower i won't (shredded trash and grass clippings and weed seeds i don't need).

compost i would rather grow my own plants and then use those for composting.

wood is normally usually ok to take as long as it isn't treated or the black walnut, but most people find other more useful things to do with that than compost or burn it. most wood scraps i get are from people who are making firewood and they don't want to throw away the bark or rotting stuff and i can always use it someplace or bury it or leave it along an edge until it finishes rotting.

i don't ever take grass clippings.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Never had this problem, but it is a shame...you work your butt off trying to do all the right things for your garden and your get blind sided.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes I have heard of people having the same issue. Awful! No one I've bought from uses chemicals on their hay. But I do worry about this...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wouldn't the chemicals be bad for the animals? I haven't run into this so I'm curious.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is also an issue with certain wormers and using the manure if I remember right.

I haven't heard of sprayed hay here. None of my farmer relatives spray it. Don't think alfalfa has many issues except gophers over on the dry side. (I always helped set traps when at grandma's growing up). The grass hay on the wet side here left alone until they do the single cutting.