Kind of obvious - Hang out your clothes

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I am the opposite. I despise the crunchy clothes and even trying some dryer and some hanging, ugh, I still hate the stiff. I like my dryer and use it all the time but I do always hang out sheets and blankets and big items etc.......I do cut down on dryer use for some items etc. I do what I can but for me this is a pet peeve and I like my clothes the way I like them. So try to use the dryer less by getting tips like---dry very light weight items all together only.....they dry fast and don't require more time for drying if heavier items are in there. Jeans I hang out for a bit or give an extra spin cycle to get kinda dry and then dryer lightly.....so I am working on it..HA HA

:)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Its ok FarmerChic...we all have our 'thing', lol...like me with the homemade mayo, ugh. But I wonder, if you line dried, then say put them in the dryer on 'air' with a dryer sheet, if that would take out the crunchies and make them soft? *shrugs* I don't know, lol. I am thinking of gettting a drying rack, or heck, if someone can give me the plans, maybe even making one, lol :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I tried different combos of drying. putting the clothes out for 10-15 mins. then putting in the dryer with a sheet and they still seemed stiff.
Then I reversed it.....dryer for a bit, then finish off outside. I don't know, LOL, just me but the dryer gives me pure softness I just love.
But I am still working on how to cut dependency on that dryer. I will work out something..LOL

Ya know Mom always hung outside and I don't remember her clothes being so rough.....time to ask Mom tomorrow if there is a secret or something I am missing..LOL

I almost bought a dryer rack at Walmart. Wow that thing was flimsy and cheap so I skipped on it. I would think making one would be kinda easy. Maybe 2 X 2 sides in an X shape and then adding dowel rods across for support. Should be simple I would think....never tried to make one though. I camp and wanted to bring one along camping to hang out stuff to dry like bathing suits etc. Maybe I might make one also...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You know? I haven't noticed any stiffness with my clothing washed in the homemade liquid laundry soap. I haven't tried it for jeans yet, but my linens, blankets, towels, etc. all come out fresh and soft. You might try distilled vinegar in your rinse water for added softness.

I haven't used any softener in the dryer, or washer, since buying those blue dryer balls about 2 years ago. No static, no perfumey smells, soft clothing, no grease spots on the clothing, dries more quickly...well, there's just no down side to them!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
My jeans are still a bit stiff, even with the homemade soap, but then again, I have REALLY hard water. Haven't tried the vinegar yet, so thats next on the list. I don't think about it because it doesn't bother me. But like you said, Beekissed, my other clothes aren't stiff, either.

FarmerChick, we all have our preferences :) I wouldn't sweat it, especially since you do so many other things for your little corner of the world! :hugs

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA
I won't sweat it but I hate the fact that the stupid stiff gets the better of me. I will fight to the death trying to make those clothes soft out on the line..HA HA

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
For hard water, someone said adding Calgon to the homemade mix will help with this. Wouldn't hurt to try?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
HA HA
I won't sweat it but I hate the fact that the stupid stiff gets the better of me. I will fight to the death trying to make those clothes soft out on the line..HA HA
Karen, one thing I do when it is really hot here I hang my clothes on the line at night & they are not as stiff then. If I get them off the line before it gets hot the next morning.

I love my clothes line & they can have it when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!!! Ha HA In fact I have not used my dryer at all since we moved out of the old house(DH has not hooked it up yet) in Feb. I also have a dryer rack that I use in our bathrm/closet when needed. Sometimes I use it for socks, undies & wash cloths & hang the towels outside. I did it yesterday & I am glad as a dust storm came up suddenly & I only had to grab towels off the line fast.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey homey---HA HA HA

Karen, one thing I do when it is really hot here I hang my clothes on the line at night & they are not as stiff then. If I get them off the line before it gets hot the next morning.

*******interesting. I have not tried that method. It is so hot here also maybe the clothes just dry too fast or something????? I don't know..LOL...but worth a shot. thanks for the tip and I will try it....BUT...hanging overnight, does it ever effect it at all???? I wouldn't think so but staying damp and drying slower might work to keep things softer???
thanks