"Kitchen herbalism" for colds and flu

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I was listening to an interview with Stephen Buhner (sp?) who wrote Herbal Antibiotics (just ordered from the library) and he gave an intriguing recipe that I jotted down. I figured I would not feel like making this when I got sick, so I bought the stuff yesterday with the intent of making up enough for one round of the flu or a cold and freezing it in small canning jars.

Guess what. I woke up with a sore throat and a fever. Poop.

Here is the recipe, such as it is:

Juice fresh ginger, about the size of 2-3 of your thumbs
Juice one lime
1/16 tsp cayenne pepper
Raw wildflower honey

Stir all into 10 oz hot water. Take 2-6 per day, starting at the first sign of cold or flu.

I don't have a juicer, so I chopped the ginger and puree'd it in my Vitamix with a bit of water, then strained it through a fine mesh tea strainer. Since I'd added water, I just used four servings worth of ginger, and divided the resulting liquid by four. You can save the pulp for making other teas, too, like chai tea.

This stuff feels powerful! It is too strong for me, so I use about half and take two big mugfuls instead of one. I will probably get used to it and be able to drink it at the recipe's strength eventually. It is quite good.

Here is another recipe for phlegmy coughs that works great: Chop some fresh ginger and the white parts and roots of scallions. Simmer in water for 30 minutes, strain, and drink by the mugful with honey. This works great and tastes MUCH better than it sounds. A Chinese acupuncturist I went to suggested it. I save and freeze the ends of scallions just for this purpose, and throw an equal amount of chopped fresh ginger in with the scallion roots and ends when I get the ginger.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I got the sinus crud too. Peppermint tea helps, but only while you are sipping it. I have the ingredients for the ginger stuff. I may try that when I get home.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I am definitely going to try these, I love ginger tea when I get a cold...and actually any cold wintr night...it really warms the insides. The cayenne is amazing...ever research the health benefits of cayenne? It is a powerful remedy for many things.
Another remedy for chest colds is to cut the top off a turnip and holllow out some of it (leaving at least an inch or so on the sides and more on the bottom) Fill with brown sugar, replace the top and set on counter for a day or two until it becomes a syrup. Take it by the tablespoon as needed. Turnips are an excellent lung strengthener. If you know anyone with any kind of lung problems, turnip would be a great thing to add to thier diets.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
Thanks Morel! That sounds awesome also! I am going to try all of these...:) I am sneezing, coughing, sore throat...:sick, not to mention headache.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have that book, it sounds like one I need to add to my collection.
If you want to really blast a virus or infection, add raw garlic to that mix! Whoa! Doesn't taste great, but man it works.
My DH can't eat ginger, so we use honey, cayenne and chopped raw garlic paste.
Cayenne is a remedy I will never be without again. Did you that a pinch in a glass of water will stop bleeding almost immediately? We tested it on my son's nosebleed. He thought is was so cool. It's great for the digestive system too. So many uses. I have it in powder, tincture, and capsule form.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm a big, big fan of cayenne myself. It has all sorts of uses.
Old boyfriend used it to control his blood pressure.
Good for external use for body aches.

I bet you are right Java, garlic tea is a great cold remedy.

Thanks for the recipes!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Cayenne is where the capsaicin cream comes from for body aches. It works better the longer term you use it.

My SO is down with the crud right now. (figures. I took this week off work :/) I will have to see if I can get some of that ginger/cayenne concotion into her.

I made an herbal mix in the past that I swear by for viral flu and things with fever. If I remember right it was rose hips, lemongrass, raspberry leaf, boneset, hibiscus (because I like the flavor and color!) and something else I will have to try to remember. Didn't taste bad and broke the fever within the day.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Dried hibiscus is a great ingredient to have on hand. That is what Celestial Seasonings uses as a base for a lot of their teas. WAY cheaper to buy your own than to pay for the pretty box :D