"Kitchen herbalism" for colds and flu

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For a cough and sore throat for myself I always mix honey, lemon juice, and a touch of bourbon into a nice syrup and take as needed. For my kids, when they have a cough I give them honey. Honey is better than any over the counter cough syrup. Sore throats we gargle with salt water and use Horehound candy to coat and sooth the throat. You can also use elderberry or coltsfoot,..both are wonderful for colds.

ETA: Echinacea is also a good preventative,...it is an immune booster.

nop169

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
For prevention of the flu - cut white onions in half & place in bowls. Keep a bowl of the cut onions in various locations in the house. The onions somehow absorb the flu virus....... it works!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
But then the house will smell like onions! (I don't think SO's migraines would manage that :lol:)

I don't have whiskey- would rum work in the cough syrup? Or I have a little bottle of Jack Daniels (is that whiskey?)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Whiskey is best because of the vapors it creates. But in a pinch, any alcohol will do! :D

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Any whiskey would do,..Jack, Jim, George. ;) Whatever you have on hand. I always use Jim Beam.

ETA: My great grandmother used rock candy instead of the lemon. Rock candy is kind of hard to find now days.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oof, I think I'd rather cough than take something with whiskey in it, ookie ookie!:sick

J might be agreeable to that, though, and we're both dyin' of the crud right now, so I will see if he'll try it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well, with the whiskey, you may still be sick, but by the second shot, you just don't CARE that you are sick anymore :D

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't be bothered anymore with this hit and miss herbal stuff.

Vitamin C to bowel tolerance works everytime.

But the whiskey sounds like it might help it along :gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We do "The Treatment" here and within a couple of days, we are feeling fine. We use it for cold and allergy symptoms alike and it works for both. IF done properly..... :p

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Then there is the other way,...get slap drunk and get under a pile of covers, as many as you can stand,....and sweat it out! :gig That always works too. ;)