"Kitchen herbalism" for colds and flu

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh yeah, hibiscus and red raspberry leaf are great for fevers. Red raspberry along with cayenne also break up mucus, I think. I'll have to check...

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Great thread!

I don't have much to contribute except that I was just reading about the benefits
of yogurt & kefir. The article said that the probiotics in them give an immunity against colds, and another article said it makes you 2 1/2 times more resistant to the common cold! I never knew that!

Some of you may remember me looking for a sore throat cure
for my hubby. I actually drank out of his water glass, and never even got a scratchy throat.....all the kids got it. In fact a few of my kids have had colds, but I have been putting yogurt/kefir in my morning smoothies for
months, coincidentally, I have not been sick at all!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I actually just got a newsletter yesterday about one cold remedy and preventative. Boil some water or warm up some milk and add a cinnamon stick, let steep for 10 minutes.

http://www.learningherbs.com/news_issue_46.html

Also, my favourite for a chest cold is-one shot of ACV, 1 tbsp raw honey, and a pich of cayenne. Mix together and drink as is, or mix with hot water.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
After drinking several mugs of the recipe in my OP, I woke up with no fever and barely a hint of a sore throat. I had a few more cups throughout the day. It did give my overly sensitive colon a big boot, but that is preferrable to getting sick for a week or more!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Wonder if it will work as a preventative? It sounds like it would taste good, and if I start drinking it now, maybe I won't get what SO has? :fl

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'd do it! The nice thing about "kitchen herbalism" is that you can't overdose and you can't hurt yourself...it is food.

I will definitely be freezing portions of this for quick use in the future.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am so glad you posted this! I have a SO who perpetually has "the crud". He also won't go to the doctor for less than an arterial bleed :rolleyes:
I will definitely try these :)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:celebrate That's wonderful Free!
I would totally drink it as a preventative too.