Kits on the Wire!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My does both kindled. One last night and the other just a few minutes ago.

The second had her litter on the wire. I was lucky to have found them before thy got cold.

Both litters have 8 babies.

Has anyone heard of a doe wet-nursing another litter?

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes they will do it!!!! BUT..... It is hard for one doe to raise that many babies. Did the second doe pull any hair? If so put the hair babies and all in her own box and she will probably take them.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
Yes they will do it!!!! BUT..... It is hard for one doe to raise that many babies. Did the second doe pull any hair? If so put the hair babies and all in her own box and she will probably take them.
The second doe did pull some hair - not much. Right now, I have the kits indoors in an ice cream pail with all the wool mom pulled, plus some extra wool I had.

I was pretty lucky to have gone out to the shed when I did! She must have *just* kindled. They were still warm-ish. They are worming up and getting squirmy now.

I have KMR formula and have read a whole lot of instructions. I think I'm going to try going "halfsies" between me and the other doe caring for them.

I don't have enough bedding for them now in order to leave them out in a nest box overnight.

Without colostrum their chances of survival are very, very slim. :(

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am afraid that if you keep them away from their real mom for very long she will refuse them and then you will have to put them with the foster mother. Raising them yourself is almost impossible. they will live up until weaning. The real mother will probably take care of them without a problem. Maybe you can divide with the other doe and her. Something I have done when the mother doesn't pull enough hair is to grab her and turn her upside down and pull out enough hair from her chest that the babies will be okay. Sounds kinda mean, but it really doesn't hurt her. You can also save hair from different kindlings to use later on. Just put it in ziplock bag and store it until you need it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
They are angoras, so getting enugh wool to nest with is no problem. :lol:

After reading A LOT of not very helpful information and a little good stuff, I came up with my own solution.

I really wanted them to have colostrum, so I brought my doe in and held her on her back and let the babies nurse. I pulled out the rest of the wool on her belly to fill the nest box and make it easier for the babies to nurse.

They are out in the shed in a nest box. The doe is in a different cage. She jumps in the box and squishes them.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You know they don't stay in the box with the kits, don't you. I've seen them jump in the box and can't figure out the kits survive, but they do. They only jump in when they're going to feed them. (Unless she's just a bad mommy).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
She is a bad mommy. :rolleyes: She left a litter to die on the wire before. She jumps in the nest box, amushes them and pees/poops in there.

My other doe is such a good mom! This bad one makes me appreciate her more!

Soo.... I told myself if she didn't give me a live litter this time that I would cull her. I did get a live litter. Sorta. If one of the "chinchilla" colored kits turnes out to be a chocolate-chinchilla or seal-chinchilla, I will keep her. $120 - $200 for one kit is worth the trouble for me. It's not likely to get that color... so assuming I don't have it, what should I do with her?

I guess I'll list her for a 4-H/show rabbit. Do I bother with the disclaimer "not a good mom"?

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think it would be the right thing to do to let people know that she isn't a good mom. Maybe someone who just wants fiber would like to have her as a pet.