Kits on the Wire!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The last one just died. Why couldn't have died 2 minutes earlier, rather than when I was holding it? :barnie

The colored one died this morning, after I fed it and it was under my shirt staying warm. Also wished it had died when I wasn't holding it :barnie

All my good colors died. :barnie

I need to find a new doe!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Give her another chance. At least she didn't eat them! Next time maybe try a different nest box. Mine do best in one that is covered and deep and make sure they have plenty of material to make a nest in. You already know she throws the colors you like, so maybe a couple of chances are in order before you cull her.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
By the way, how did the respatory infection turn out?
2 of my 4 are on antibiotics for 3 weeks. Their symptoms have already cleared up. The others are not showing symptoms.

It's so funny because the good mom (Pickle) LOVES the cherry-flavored antibiotic. I don't even have to open her cage to give it to her. She runs over and smushes her face up to the wire to get it. :gig

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
Give her another chance. At least she didn't eat them! Next time maybe try a different nest box. Mine do best in one that is covered and deep and make sure they have plenty of material to make a nest in. You already know she throws the colors you like, so maybe a couple of chances are in order before you cull her.
Is it unethical to breed babies that are probably going to die right away? I'm not bottlefeeding again! That was taking about 6 hours per day!

I contacted the breeder I got that doe from to see if he has anything with a similar pedigree. I expect her does - his lines are tightly bred. I hope he has one he will sell to me ...

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
If this was her first litter I would give her another chance for sure. It is not unethical ... it is farming.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you can get another doe then great, but don't think that just because she did bad on her first try means that she will later on. Next time she may be a wonderful mom. If another litter dies then it may be time to get rid of her. Animals suffer from inexperience too and I would personally give her another chance.

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your kits and sick doe. I would first, take care of her URI. Read Dr. Jay Hreiz's article about them in the ARBA's latest Domestic Rabbit magazine .

Then, I'd give your doe another chance. I always let them have 3 strikes before they're out. In your doe's case, I'm afraid you may have jumped the gun by not persisting in aiding her in nursing. It takes a few tries to get her comfy and for you to hold the kits away from her back legs so she does not launch them. And bottle fed kits at their age almost never survive.

Also, because she is sick her body may not have been able to produce milk for the kits. It may have also been the reason she scattered them. That or simple inexperience.

I wouldn't be too hard on the doe. Give her another chance and let her do her thing.

I hope she is able to recover from what is ailing her. Best wishes to you both.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
ChickenPotPie said:
Sorry to hear about your kits and sick doe. I would first, take care of her URI. Read Dr. Jay Hreiz's article about them in the ARBA's latest Domestic Rabbit magazine .

Then, I'd give your doe another chance. I always let them have 3 strikes before they're out. In your doe's case, I'm afraid you may have jumped the gun by not persisting in aiding her in nursing. It takes a few tries to get her comfy and for you to hold the kits away from her back legs so she does not launch them. And bottle fed kits at their age almost never survive.

Also, because she is sick her body may not have been able to produce milk for the kits. It may have also been the reason she scattered them. That or simple inexperience.

I wouldn't be too hard on the doe. Give her another chance and let her do her thing.

I hope she is able to recover from what is ailing her. Best wishes to you both.
The bad momma doesn't have URI symptoms. The good momma has the URI.

The bad momma didn't have any milk by day 4. Nothing. We were thinking about giving her oxytocin, but decided against it.

That was her second litter on the wire. Another litter resorbed.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Re: the URI

I couldn't wait any longer. My buck started showing symptoms this morning. Little damp around the nose and on the front paws. I took him in to the vet for a nasal swab and it's being sent out to the lab to culture and see what my bun-buns have.