Kits on the Wire!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I would also state that she is not a good mom. There are people like me out there who don't neccessarily want to breed the rabbit. I would love to have an angora female rabbit to keep our Hutch company and for the fur. But I don't want to breed rabbits at this point. My male is fixed.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Today she had no patience to lay on her back. She would kick and they would go flying onto the floor. (Thank goodness my dogs are VERY well trained!!)

I put her in the nest box first, then put her kits in. She put up with them nursing. I'm waiting to see if she will clean them. Maybe she will get the idea and this will get easier?

I finally workd on my rabbit blog/website! http://penelopesrabbitry.blogspot.com/ The name is pending with ARBA - I might have to change the name if someone else has registered it with ARBA.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Last night, I put nest box in the the cage with momma. I don't know if she went in it or nursed them, but none were smushed this morning and I didn't hear any crying/squeaking, so I assume they aren't starving.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If their bellies are round then she has fed them. It sounds like they will be okay with her if you can keep her from peeing in the box with them. My does usually will kinda squish them when I reach in right after they had them, but they quickly-usually by the next day-learn to be careful.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Ack! My good doe has a URI! I'm going to have to harass my SO tonight. He is a vet but he doesn't work with exotics so he may not understand what the big deal is. URI's can be fatal in adults, and if it is pastuerella and passed to the kits, we're talking major problems.

As far as the second litter, they seemed fine. The runt's belly was not as round as the others, so I put it in with the other mother's litter.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Or NOT! :( She doesn't have any milk now and the babies are starting to get dehydrated. Starting them on KMR in just a few minutes.

There is one rare colored one that I REALLY hope pulls through. It could sell for $100 - $200.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
All but 1 died last night. I put the survivor in with the other doe's litter. She lost 2, so she should have space. :/

It was looking pretty rough. I warmed it up and gave it some milk before I put it in the other nest box. I should go check on it soon, but I'm tired of bad news. :(

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about the bunnies. Does not seem like she wants to be a momma. Did the nice colored one you like survive?

Sorry,
gina