Kitty Litter Containers

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SillySoap said:
Mine are scented so I guess I can't use them to store beans & pasta! :(
Just wondering, would the smell stay out of your food if you lined them with mylar bags...? :pop

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SillySoap said:
I have used them so far for nest boxes for my chickens. The next one is ear marked for watering my new grapevine that was planted, putting a hole in the bottom for a slow soak.

They could be used for container gardening.
I cannot see any of my hens fitting into my containers :( But then, if I push her in there a little bit...nah, I better not.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I have 10 filled with water which I use to flush toilets if the power to the well pump fails. Each container eguals one flush! [drinking water is kept in drinking water jugs]

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
be careful using them to store pet food - the plastic isn't food grade, which means it may be microscopically porous, allowing the fats that are sprayed on kibbles to soak into the plastic. those fats can then go rancid and contaminate the kibble. easy solution is to store the kibble inside its original bag inside the container. :)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MetalSmitten said:
be careful using them to store pet food - the plastic isn't food grade, which means it may be microscopically porous, allowing the fats that are sprayed on kibbles to soak into the plastic. those fats can then go rancid and contaminate the kibble. easy solution is to store the kibble inside its original bag inside the container. :)
I put it in gallon ziploc bags, which then go into the bucket. Same with the chicken feed I have stored in them. Hopefully that's good enough! :)

SillySoap

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Avalon1984 said:
SillySoap said:
I have used them so far for nest boxes for my chickens. The next one is ear marked for watering my new grapevine that was planted, putting a hole in the bottom for a slow soak.

They could be used for container gardening.
I cannot see any of my hens fitting into my containers :( But then, if I push her in there a little bit...nah, I better not.
LOL my DD has bantam show chickens. It works well for them. I use the plastic milk crates for my laying hens. :lol:

denicerlewis

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
we use used kitty litter buckets as upside down tomato planters....cut a hole in the bottom. add two slits to create a flap adjoining the hole, plant the tomato plant (or bell pepper plant) in the bottom hole, add good potting soil (maybe mixed with homemade compost), plant a 2nd tomato or bell pepper plant in the top, and hang from an old clothesline pole or whatever will hold the weight of the new planter! To water the plants, water them like you would normally but quit when water starts dripping out of the bottom hole.

:cool:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good idea! I'll have to tell my SIL about that. She has talked about buying one of those things, but I kinda talked her out of it. She never did get a tomato plant in the ground this year, but I'll help her rig this up next year.

I see that this is your first post, so welcome! Take a minute and introduce yourself over at the 'where am I, where are you' section, k?

denicerlewis

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
This may sound silly, but where do I find the "where am I, where are you' section" on this website?:)

Latest posts