1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 4 Thieves Vinegar - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Kitty Litter Containers

Discussion in 'Trash To Treasure - Joys Of Recycling' started by Avalon1984, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Aug 16, 2011
    SillySoap

SillySoap Enjoys Recycling

Here is a link http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=4

But to help you later, at the top of each page you will see Index>> (the name of whatever section you are in) you can click on index to take you back to all the different subjects or the section if that is where you want to go.

2. Aug 22, 2011
    zippitydooda

zippitydooda Sustainable Newbie

We do this as well. I put a cap full of bleach in each one and tighten the lid really well. Then they go in the crawl space for storage. Two sit behind the upstairs potty & I use one every day to carry water out to the chickens. Since we put a small amount of bleach in each one (except the chicken water one) we don't drink it, but it keeps the water from getting slimy.

I was thinking these would make good funnels or scoops too.

3. Aug 22, 2011
    colowyo0809

colowyo0809 Lovin' The Homestead

See, I can see where you might think that :) But we use the 27# tidy cat containers, which are the yellow buckets with the blue lids. we cut the blue lid in half, so it creates a sort of lip on the nest, fill the bottom half, and let them at them. We have both bantam and standard chickens here. Our australorp and easter egger both use them, as well as the wyandottes and the bantams :) So, unless you have a chicken that is as tall as german shepard, you should be just fine on that :)

4. Aug 30, 2011
    Toulle

Toulle Lovin' The Homestead

I've been messing with a 27# Tidy Cat bucket as a potato bin. It was un-scented so it should work. First had 2 rows of 3/8" holes around the lower part. That didn't work, potatoes started to rot. Thot it was the red potatoes that gave me the trouble, and tried again with only russets - to the same end. Now I have 5 rows of 1/2" holes in it, but no potatoes. We'll see after next trip to the store.

I did make a few of them into first rate snake containers, for my herpetological adventures. They are nice in case I need to move a snake from a neighbor's garage, or find one out in the field and want to bring it home for photos/study. DW knows that when one is sitting in the kitchen - don't open it. This is doubly true if it has a RED duct tape tag on the top.

5. Aug 30, 2011
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

:lol: :gig

6. Aug 30, 2011
    Marianne

Marianne Super Self-Sufficient

:ep Toulle, I'm beginning to think there's something seriously wrong with you. :lol:

7. Aug 30, 2011
    Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Lovin' The Homestead

8. Aug 30, 2011
    Marianne

Marianne Super Self-Sufficient

Oh, I see what you mean. You'd think we could come up with some clever things to do with those heavy jugs...

I know someone who saves the used oil from his vehicles in one of those. He was pouring out some of the used oil from one of those jugs into a can to 'paint' on the bottom of some fence posts (or something - 4x4's ? Something with soil contact). At the time I was more interested in all the things he was doing with the old oil - He gave practically everything exposed to the weather a coat! It was a little mini farm, just a few of every kind of critter - all the ramps from duck, goose and chicken houses had a coat of oil, so did the floors, he said.

9. Aug 31, 2011
    Toulle

Well, maybe - but I don't know what I said that would make you think so. Doesn't everyone love a good snake-in-the-box?

10. Aug 31, 2011
    Toulle

Ohhhhhh - those things. DW was looking at those in the store and I told her how DK (dear kitty) don't like that kind.

Seriously, we didn't get them to avoid exactly the problem you are having. We buy it sometimes in the buckets if it is on sale and find scads of uses for the buckets, or in bags.
    The bags can be poured into the buckets for easy scooping, and two of them duct taped together make a bang-up rest for sighting in a rifle.

Another kind of kitty litter bucket, a 3 gallon square-ish one with a snap on lid, makes a very good food bucket for camping They aren't raccoon proof, though, without some mods.