Kitty Litter Containers

SillySoap

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have used them so far for nest boxes for my chickens. The next one is ear marked for watering my new grapevine that was planted, putting a hole in the bottom for a slow soak.

Mine are scented so I guess I can't use them to store beans & pasta! :(

They could be used for container gardening.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I clean off the poop boards in the coop, I put it in a cat litter container. When it is almost full, I take it to the garden or the compost pile.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get the plastic bags of kitty litter from Petsmart (it's a no-name brand) and dump them into the plastic containers. Novel idea, huh, to put kitty litter in a kitty litter container!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SillySoap said:
Just wondering, would the smell stay out of your food if you lined them with mylar bags...? :pop

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SillySoap said:
I have used them so far for nest boxes for my chickens. The next one is ear marked for watering my new grapevine that was planted, putting a hole in the bottom for a slow soak.

They could be used for container gardening.
I cannot see any of my hens fitting into my containers :( But then, if I push her in there a little bit...nah, I better not.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I have 10 filled with water which I use to flush toilets if the power to the well pump fails. Each container eguals one flush! [drinking water is kept in drinking water jugs]

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
be careful using them to store pet food - the plastic isn't food grade, which means it may be microscopically porous, allowing the fats that are sprayed on kibbles to soak into the plastic. those fats can then go rancid and contaminate the kibble. easy solution is to store the kibble inside its original bag inside the container. :)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MetalSmitten said:
be careful using them to store pet food - the plastic isn't food grade, which means it may be microscopically porous, allowing the fats that are sprayed on kibbles to soak into the plastic. those fats can then go rancid and contaminate the kibble. easy solution is to store the kibble inside its original bag inside the container. :)
I put it in gallon ziploc bags, which then go into the bucket. Same with the chicken feed I have stored in them. Hopefully that's good enough! :)