Kitty Litter Containers

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody here had a great idea on what to do with empty kitty litter containers. I mean the ones that have lids on them and the whole bit. Seems like such a waste to throw them away but I can't think of a good way to use them. Anybody here have an idea? :hu

Thank you!

ChaneyLakegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hubby used one for a watering can. I cut the top part of and just used the lower part as a container to collect rags in before washing. I was thinking about using them for container gardening?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I've used a few for possible bug-out (God help us) situations. One has medical-type supplies (band-aids, peroxide, alcohol, gauze, etc.); one has gallon ziploc bags with different kinds of cat & dog food (b/c God forbid they all eat the same kind :/); one has chicken feed. I keep them in a closet "just in case" we have to leave in a hurry, plus some empty ones. I didn't want to throw them out either, since they're sturdy & have handles. :)

There are more creative types on this forum who will have better ideas, I'm sure.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
As long as it was unscented litter, Store food in them. Artificial scents will make the food taste nasty. :sick You could store beans, grains, petfood, whatever.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Storing them for pet food sounds like a great idea. I will have to check though, I would assume it is scented litter but I will double check. I am really enjoing all the ideas. Thank you! Keep them coming :ya

SillySoap

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have used them so far for nest boxes for my chickens. The next one is ear marked for watering my new grapevine that was planted, putting a hole in the bottom for a slow soak.

Mine are scented so I guess I can't use them to store beans & pasta! :(

They could be used for container gardening.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I clean off the poop boards in the coop, I put it in a cat litter container. When it is almost full, I take it to the garden or the compost pile.

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get the plastic bags of kitty litter from Petsmart (it's a no-name brand) and dump them into the plastic containers. Novel idea, huh, to put kitty litter in a kitty litter container!

Latest posts