Kitty Litter Containers

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody here had a great idea on what to do with empty kitty litter containers. I mean the ones that have lids on them and the whole bit. Seems like such a waste to throw them away but I can't think of a good way to use them. Anybody here have an idea? :hu

Thank you!

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And just a refresher on some of the many creative ways to reuse these containers:

creative-and-practical-ways-to-repurpose-kitty-litter-containers.jpg

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm updating this thread because my neighbor offered me the empty Cat's Pride Natural Unscented Scoop Litter containers she buys for her kitties. They're the 20-pound containers with nice screw-top lids and absolutely could be recycled using all the wonderful ideas presented here. I plan to store tap water in each one after a thorough cleaning and bleaching -- and will regard the stockpiled water as potable in emergency situations.

The reason I'm comfortable with this usage is the triangle grade on the bottom of the container, a number 2 HDPE. Here's the information about that plastic grade:

High density polyethylene (HDPE)
Description: Polyethylenes are the most widely used family of plastics in the world. The versatile polyethylene polymer has the simplest basic chemical structure of any plastic polymer (repeating units of CH2: one carbon and two hydrogen molecules) making it very easy to process and thus extremely popular for numerous low value applications - especially packaging. HDPE has long virtually unbranched polymer chains which align and pack easily making it dense and very crystalline (structurally ordered) and thus a stronger, thicker form of of polyethylene. Properties: stiffness, strength, toughness, resistance to moisture, permeability to gas, ease of processing.

Typical Use: Plastic bags (grocery), opaque milk, water, and juice containers, bleach, detergent and shampoo bottles, garbage bags, dishes, yogurt and margarine tubs, cereal box liners, some medecine bottles. Also used in Tyvek insulation, PEX piping, plastic/wood composites.

Toxicity: Being relatively stable, it is generally considered a safer plastic for food and drink use, although some studies have shown that it can leach the endocrine disruptor nonylphenol (added to HDPE as a stabilizer), especially when exposed to ultraviolet light - i.e., sunlight - and possibly other additive chemicals with estrogen-mimicking activity (HDPE1, HDPE2, HDPE3).

Recycling: About 29% (HDPE4). Recycled material made into bottles for non-food items like shampoo, laundry detergent, motor oil; plastic lumber and furniture, piping, recycling bins, fencing, floor tiles, buckets, crates, flower pots, garden edging, film and sheeting.

Alternatives: Use glass or stainless steel reusable bottles and food storage containers. Buy in glass and reuse those bottles/jars - mason jars are incredibly versatile. Use reusable bags made of natural fibres (cotton, hemp).

Our Suggestion: RELATIVELY SAFE. But has been shown to release endocrine disrupting chemicals.

https://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/store/common_plastics_no_1_to_no_7

Notice under "Toxicity" it does mention food and drink use and, and the endocrine disruptor leaching can be mostly avoided with storage in a cool, dark place.

Again, I just like the idea of recycling these sturdy containers for an EMERGENCY water supply that costs me nothing and keeps them out of the dump. YMMV but I thought this information would be pertinent for those interested.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They are very useful! I like ice cream tubs for the same reason. There is so much you can do with them afterwards.

Talking of which, our local Chinese take-out sends most of their meals in lunchbox size plastic tubs with lids. I kept all the ones I go so far and reuse them to freeze fruit in for smoothies and general use around the kitchen. They are so handy! I can't believe how many I see tossed in the trash in the street bins (no, I haven't rescued any yet!)
Our Chinese uses either the same or similar! I save them for hubby's lunchbox! That way I'm not out much if they don't make it home.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wouldn't store food in them unless it was sealed in a mylar bag. They really don't seal very tight.
They stack nicely so I like to use them for storage of craft supplies.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What if you used mylar bags to contain the food, and then put them in the containers? I haven't needed to use any, but it seems to me that would be viable.

ChaneyLakegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hubby used one for a watering can. I cut the top part of and just used the lower part as a container to collect rags in before washing. I was thinking about using them for container gardening?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I've used a few for possible bug-out (God help us) situations. One has medical-type supplies (band-aids, peroxide, alcohol, gauze, etc.); one has gallon ziploc bags with different kinds of cat & dog food (b/c God forbid they all eat the same kind :/); one has chicken feed. I keep them in a closet "just in case" we have to leave in a hurry, plus some empty ones. I didn't want to throw them out either, since they're sturdy & have handles. :)

There are more creative types on this forum who will have better ideas, I'm sure.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
As long as it was unscented litter, Store food in them. Artificial scents will make the food taste nasty. :sick You could store beans, grains, petfood, whatever.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Storing them for pet food sounds like a great idea. I will have to check though, I would assume it is scented litter but I will double check. I am really enjoing all the ideas. Thank you! Keep them coming :ya