kitty question!

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is Pudding getting any milk products other than the yogurt? Cat's don't have the enzyme to digest milk, so they can get the poopies if they drink it. We have 10 (yes 10!) indoor cats. Only one of them shows any interest at all in milk, but we can't even turn our backs on a bowl of cereal or there she is, lapping up the milk. Of course, she pays the price later!

As for keeping her fanny clean, try cheap, unscented baby wipes.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree that she needs a thorough vet check first. And then either yogurt or kefir, and no uncultured milk products. And changing her food sounds like a good idea too. You might also try giving her a spoonful of pureed pumpkin everyday as well; this might help to firm up her stool.
And the .... I would seriously think about changing her name .... I mean, really .... *Pudding*, for a cat with ... ahem ... stools of a soft, *pudding like* consistency! :lol:

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad to hear they don't think it is anything serious!
One of my cats gets really sick on certain foods (even the fancy kinds). She can only eat Purina One..... who would've thought???

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Are you feeding wet or dry food? I work at a boarding kennel and note that cats fed wet food tend to have wet stools and those fed dry tend to have dry stools. Sometimes we add water to dry food and that works best for cats that have loose stools but need soft food.

I work at a veterinary clinic as well as boarding, and we always give cats with that condition a little "forti flora" which is a powdered product that benefits their digestive system similar to how yogurt would, except it is more designed for cats. It isn't an expensive product and doesn't taste bad, they usually eat it readily if you just sprinkle it over the food, even dry food. It usually gets them on the right track and then you can taper off.

We do have one cat that boards that always takes Forti Flora.

We have done cat rescue and we did have one kitten we rescued that constantly had diarrhea. It turned out to be stress! Some animals are easily stressed and easily get diarrhea from it. We also gave that kitten Forti flora continually and the problem went away, and created a more quiet environment for her (actually, we found her a home with a retired lady, no kids or commotion, but we were just fostering her, she wasn't our cat, so the goal was getting her adopted).

I hope my perspective helps!