Knifty knitters

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
are you kidding? I can't even do the crochet thingymabob.

This is the only thing I can make with yarn. But still mine don't look like ya'lls. did just not make it long enough?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
are you kidding? I can't even do the crochet thingymabob.

This is the only thing I can make with yarn. But still mine don't look like ya'lls. did just not make it long enough?
I don't know what you are talking about, it looks great!! :thumbsup

I made two practice hats with one strand, so I wouldn't waste the yarn. When I was confident I could "do it" I went and bought some pretty nice alpaca wool yarn for my next hat. It is thick and heavy and I won't take it off! You have to measure the length of the tube you are making. I just kept putting it on my head, with the knifty knitter still attached to make sure.

That pom-pom maker is so easy and fast. I have two sizes and I think I am going back to the yarn store for the third size. :p

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well, it fits fine, but my brim looks more like roll instead of cuff.

oh well, I'm gonna try with the three strands and see what happends. I got probably 40 skeens of yarn of craigslist. the lady told me to just pay what I thought was fair. she seemed really nice, so I gave her $20. I figure I can play with this yarn and when I get really comfortable, I'll go buy that high dollar eye lash yarn. love that stuff!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
What is eyelash yarn?

With my newest hat (the one I made with fine alpaca wool) I didn't make a brim. I just kntted an 8-9 inch tube and finished off the top. The "brim" is just a thick roll, it rolled/curved all by itself and I love it.

Oh heck let me go and take a photo of it.

BRB

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Here it is. (The pom-pom is detachable, hee hee.)

912_hats_014.jpg

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Okiegirl your hat looks great. In the pic you brim looks turned up. I think thats the only difference.

They recommend on the babies hats you don't use a brim. I really like the way it curls. I think I will do that on my next one.

BBH I cant wait to see what you made!!!

Quail I used to knit a million years ago. I can crochet basic stuff. I did the blanket in crochet and the hat with the loom.
333_img_0538_2.jpg

One thing I have learned is not to go beyond the first row on the brim with same color. See how the white is to high on the baby hat. That bugged me. :barnie

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So thats alpaca wool? It looks very thick and warm. I have not done any pom poms yet. I have all my hats bagged as gifts now. so no pom poms this year.

g

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Here it is. (The pom-pom is detachable, hee hee.)

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/912_hats_014.jpg
oh my gosh! it's so thick. I love it. how many strands did you use? or are the strands just that thick with the alpaca?

how many hats can you do out of a skeen?
I have some fisherman's wool that I bought to make laundry balls, but now I'm thinking .... better yarn..... better hats. duh!

maybe I'll just keep playing with what I have then move on to the expensive stuff.

love your hat!

Tanks, that baby hat and quilt made me just say..... "Oh, how sweet!" out loud.. like someone was gonna hear me. I'm jealous. Wish I could crochet.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks OkieGirl. I am going to try to use a loom for my next blanket. It's so quick and easy, less wrist action. I can loom knit for much longer periods of time.

g

Latest posts