Kombucha Tea - gave it a taste

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't know where I've posted this before, but here is what I like the best....I make a strong infusion of ginger and spices and strain it into a couple of bottles and store it in the fridge. Then I use this strong stuff to flavor my hot black tea, iced tea, and kombucha.

Here is how I make it:

Put a cut up hunk of ginger in the food processor and chop until the texture of damp sawdust. Don't bother peeling it, just scrub it. Use a piece about the size of your palm (minus fingers and thumb.) You can also slice it very thin and then into matchsticks. The finer the grind, the stronger the flavor.

Meanwhile, bring two quarts of filtered water to a boil, add 4 inches of cinnamon bark, 8-10 whole allspice seeds, half a broken whole nutmeg, and a cardamom pod if you have one. Turn it down to simmer, adding the ginger. Simmer, covered, half an hour. Leave covered and let cool for several hours or overnight, don't lift the lid, as it is sterile.

Strain into two quart bottles, squeezing the ginger gently. Store in the fridge.

To use, I put 3 oz of this ginger-chai, 3 oz of kombucha, half a droper or one packet of stevia, and 10-12 oz water for a refreshing drink, great to sip or chug-a-lug on a hot day.

For black tea, I use 1 part chai to 3 parts water to make my black tea. Serve hot or iced.

This is absolutely delicious, and my fridge is rarely missing a bottle or two of this.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you!!

I have the ginger and nut meg ready to go, I just need to get some cin. bark. and whole all spice seeds. Tomorrow! I need to get some more containers!

When I first joined this forum I couldn't understand the big fuss over all things containers, but now I GET IT!!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:lol: Welcome to the dark side!!!!

DH is fairly well-trained now...."Do you want this jar?" is now asked before ANYTHING goes into the trash! Jars and bottles are becoming scarce, as we hardly buy anything in them anymore. I snag them from my friends, too. You lose a lot when you give stuff away, too. Never expect the jar to come back. Don't give your good ones away!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Thanks Dace, Reinbeau and Freemotion!!

I have to be more proactive in looking for that "magic mushroom"!!

Freemotion said to look on cl, but has anyone had any luck finding the starter anywhere else?
The brand Synergy makes kombucha drinks. You can use 1/2 a bottle of their plain - unflavored one as a starter. Check health food stores or order it online if you can't find a friend that can send a "pancake".

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I throw a lot of mushrooms into the trash can! It kills me every time I do it!
The kombucha musrooms are great in the compost pile. My old boss told me it broke his compost down faster and his plants loved chopped up bits of the old cultures. I tried that when I ran out of people to give them to but ants loved it too.
Wish I was growing it but my DH wont give it a chance. :hide He got some bad info once. :he He's fine with most of the stuff I'm into so I'm not pushing him on one thing. So far.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I FINALLY found a culture mushroom in CANADA!!!!!! So, being the tightwad that I am, is $15 a reasonable price for it? I have to drive an hour for it, but I've been meaning to take my dd to a tack shop in the same city, so it might be a combined trip.
So whaddya think? Good deal, or should I talk her down?
(I probably know the answer--since it is not that easy to find,but still...)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I paid $15 for an entire kit, but above the SCOBY it only included 1 cup sugar, a large tea bag and a container. I bet you already have those anyway, right? Sounds reasonable, especially if you really want it, can't find it elsewhere and have to make the trip anyway! Plus, I think the SCOBYs are pretty much eternally reproducing. Mine has been going since this spring sometime, producing baby after baby.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I paid $15 for an entire kit, but above the SCOBY it only included 1 cup sugar, a large tea bag and a container. I bet you already have those anyway, right? Sounds reasonable, especially if you really want it, can't find it elsewhere and have to make the trip anyway! Plus, I think the SCOBYs are pretty much eternally reproducing. Mine has been going since this spring sometime, producing baby after baby.
Well, I don't need to make the trip, but I think dd and I will go shopping since hubby and ds will be out on a hunting trip next week. there is only one health food store in the nearest town, and they don't have kits--not nothing (that I have found) around here, so I think I will make the trip. yay!

I just told hubby about all the reported benefits of drinking this tea, and he is all for it too!!!

Latest posts