Kombucha Tea - gave it a taste

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks Dace, and I will send you some fresh horse poop!!

I'll go back and look in the fridg section and ask a more seasoned employee.

Thanks!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I would be happy to send you one if you pay the shipping. I would use a priority mail box at about $10.50. I would need to send some liquid, too, so I think this is the size box I would need to package it better than mine originally was shipped in.

You get a new baby each time you finish a batch....a week or so in warmer weather, longer if it is cool in the house. I have also seen them sold online as a fourth of a mushroom that was obviously cut. I pull mine apart all the time. It will grow. It is very forgiving.

The first time I got mine, it sank to the bottom of my jar. It had leaked in shipping and I had no finished tea to use, risking bad beasties in the alkaline tea. After a few days, it looked like mold was appearing in spots on top. Fortunately, I didn't get around to tossing it for a few more days, and the "mold" turned out to be a new mushroom forming on top. The whitish spots grew and became one big mushroom. So be aware that this might happen.

My favorite container to make the tea in is a gallon "cracker" jar I got at Wal-Mart for $5. It is square-ish and has ridges in the glass so it is easy to pick up off the dark closet shelf that I ferment in. Free gallon glass pickle jars from restaurants are perfect, too. I have several now, so I store all the lids in a ziploc in the same closet so the jars can be used for other things when not fermenting. I also switched to using a paper towel rubber-banded to the top, and I write the start date and the anticipated finish date on the corner. I made the switch after fruit flies were interested in a fresh batch of sweet tea. I wanted to be sure they wouldn't get in. There are some reasons I still keep paper towels around, even though I use them less and less.

ETA: I won't send you goat poop, though, I don't have enough!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have said this over and over, but now I have two bottles of kombucha tea, I found them at Fred Meyer in the organics section.

So now I can make my own! Thanks for bearing with me and my silly questions!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
What do you think would happen if I added fresh grated ginger to my kombucha tea while it is fermenting? I thought of this when I saw kombucha tea made with ginger too at the store. (I'm not using any flavored kombucha to begin the process.)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Nope, don't do it. Spices can inhibit the fermenting process, I don't know about ginger specifically, but save it to flavor the kombucha just before drinking it. It is my favorite flavoring, I need to make more as I just drank the last of my ginger-chai infusion.....mmmmm!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thank you for that intervention! I have it waiting to be grated to add thinking I could make a ginger beer kombucha tea! You know two for the price of one. :D

O.k. then I will add it last right before I chug a lug the finished tea.
:thumbsup

Latest posts