Kombucha Tea - gave it a taste

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
15 isn't bad if you can't get a bottle of synergy. If you know anybody that wants to start it too you might go in together on the price. The other person is promised the first kombucha baby. Believe me you will be looking for people to give them to soon enough. They are great in the compost pile ! It breaks down faster.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
15 isn't bad if you can't get a bottle of synergy. If you know anybody that wants to start it too you might go in together on the price. The other person is promised the first kombucha baby. Believe me you will be looking for people to give them to soon enough. They are great in the compost pile ! It breaks down faster.
What's synergy?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
okay , so I got some of the flavored synergy just to try and it just tasted like vinegar to me. Is it supposed to taste like that? I kept the bottles and drink my water out of them now instead of a plastic bottle. Love drinking out of glass.

I'm wanting to give it another chance but it just tasted like vinegar to me.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It's a brand name Kombucha, they sell it at my local health food store. Here's a link.

You guys are using Synergy to make kombucha? I know it's active, I didn't realize you used it to make your own! How do you go about that, did I miss the instructions?

I actually like the taste of the different varieties they produce, yes, it's vinegary, but good, too. My only problem is sometimes it's so carbonated you just can't open it outside of the sink! The last bottle I opened spewed a quarter of it out all over the counter!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I agree that it can be somewhat vinegary. I love the bubbliness since we rarely buy soda anymore. It's like a healthfood soda :)

One thing about having a jar of kombucha on your windowsill: It's a great conversation starter! I just about passed out when my MIL actually wanted to try it. She said that night was the first time her stomach was not in an uproar and she is getting my next SCOBY baby!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
The Synergy website has good instructions on how to use 1/2 a bottle to start your own. Here's the link:
http://www.synergydrinks.com/synergy.html

It is normal for it to taste vinegary. If it still tastes sweet, it needs to age a bit more. If it tastes too strong for your liking- use it in salad dressing or dilute it. When the culture is too old, compost it. They are great for the pile. By then you will have kombucha babies anyway.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
The Synergy website has good instructions on how to use 1/2 a bottle to start your own. Here's the link:
http://www.synergydrinks.com/synergy.html
Thank you for the link, but it doesn't go to any instructions, it goes to a FAQ - I went through it all and didn't find the instructions, they just sent you to another site (Laurel Farms) if you're interested in making your own....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Free,

Did you say that you store a scoby in the fridge for "just in case"?

If so how do you do it? I have a plethora of scobies right now and I want to store one for emergencies.

I feed the rest to my chickens and they go gaga over them! The last batch of kombucha I made in my crock pot insert and the scoby was about 6-7 inches across!! It was huge!

OMG at Pier 1 I saw a wonderful glass lemon aide jar that stood up to 2 feet tall with a glass lid and a ss spigot near the base...oh how I coveted that thing!! It is calling me in my sleep! It would make the perfect kombucha tea dispencer!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I just fold the scoby up and put it in a glass canning jar and fill it with filtered water. Learn from my mistakes, mark a date on the jar and replace it with a fresh one now and then (monthly? Don't know.) You will have plenty, as you now know!

I did use a crock with a spigot, and you know those thready, filmy things in the finished kombucha? They will lodge in the spigot and clog it ultimately, and will be all but impossible to clean out. I went back to using my gallon glass jars!