Kombucha Tea - gave it a taste

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yup. Reinbeau's is good too. You have the scoby (mother) and the starter/baby tea in that container I sent you. (The scoby looks like the blob.)

Just make sure the tea you mix it into is cooled to room temp before you pour the scoby and starter tea into it. Other than that it is pretty forgiving.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Delia, I actually use 3 quarts of filtered water, 1 c sugar and 5 black tea bags.

I have a question......my scoby has produced 4 batches and grown into a big blob. Should I be splitting it or something/

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Every time you make new tea, with clean hands, peel off the top of the scoby and give it to your chickens or compost it, or send it to a friend.

Keep the freshest part of the scoby. I have done it many different ways, but lately I have been keeping the freshest part of the scoby. I used to chop off a section and discard the rest, but I find peeling it off is easier. Watch your fingers when you chop or cut scoby, it is soooo tough to cut through!

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
My scoby is huge! Looks like a pancake. Its on day 6. My friend came over and we looked at it...she almost lost her lunch and said there was no way she could ever drink it.;) And then saw saw/smelled the kefir..I think I may be headed for "friendly intervention" soon.:lol:

Free mentioned ginger chai flavoring...any other flavors out there ya'll like?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
For the kombucha, we just drink it straight. It is tart and bubbly, reminds me of Martinellis ....except that it is not sweet.

I used to add a splash of 100% fruit juice and filtered water, but then I wanted to cut back on my sugar consumption, so started drinking it straight and have found that I really like it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
My kombucha "mama" who gave me my first kit has fried up the SCOBYs for her family to eat, I kid you not. :sick