Kombucha!

WildWyandott110

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make kombucha often, and I am looking for ways to make it more effervescent (it's kinda flat at the moment.) Any tips from more seasoned kombucha brewers?
Thanks in advance!

(Random thing I discovered: If your kombucha has turned vinigar-esque, then you can clean stainless steel with it! Just let it sit for about five minutes, and your SS will look brand new!)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine always has a ph of around 3. If it's not there I dont drink it. I have had them go bad before.

I make mine in half gallon jars and have 8 going. Certain jars are better on the effervescense. Ones that go flat get the scoby tossed and I'll start a new jar off a really good one.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hubby took one look at a picture of a scoby, smiled, and said, "Don't even think about it."

Not an adventuresome eater. I'll have to make some for myself to try one of these days, especially since scobys go on sale on CL here regularly.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read something where someone is experimenting with dehydrating scobys to make a kind of vegan leather for clothing... Just don't wear it in the rain!
dd7a190592ce2a64b8bba589e80c950b61df3d1c
37249e15d14725577694bb3be7741f246a6b014c

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast

It's like a vinegar mother for Kombucha

Kombucha is fermented sweet tea.

Have to put some starter kombucha and the scoby in the cloth covered jar to start the next batch (I use cheap coffee filters to let the air in). Sugar levels drop over incubation time. I know people who only incubate for 5 days because that's where they like the taste. I do 8 days then into another jar with a sealing lid for secondary fermentation for about a week depending on how bad I'm being on drinking it. The secondary fermentation makes it more bubbly and reduces the sugar even more

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's rather vinegary tasting. And well I can't really describe it. I make mine with 3 parts black tea and 1 part green tea. I also have a matcha and green tea blend going in one jar. That tastes totally different from the black tea stuff

Latest posts