Kombucha!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not enough to get drunk. Need a long primary fermentation and a long secondary fermentation. Then you might get to 2%

Usually much less. So less it doesnt need to be labeled

Ok my interest is aroused now. There has to be some reason to make this stuff... Is it a healthy super drink? or????

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are several claims of health benefits for kombucha.
First of all, the probiotics are good for your gut health. The SAD is definitely lacking in probiotics.
Because it is made from tea, you get the benefits of drinking tea (increased metabolism, blood sugar control, improved cholesterol levels)
Rat studies consistently find that drinking kombucha regularly reduces liver toxicity caused by toxic chemicals, in some cases by at least 70%. They also showed improvements in both LDL and HDL cholesterol levels.
The acetic acid created by the fermentation process has strong anti-bacterial properties

Not everyone likes the taste. What you are drinking, essentially, is a tea vinegar. The trick is to stop the fermentation process at a point where you get all the benefits but it still tastes good. Some people find adding fruit juice to their kombucha helps with the taste, and if you bottle it after adding the juice, it will continue slowly fermenting and create a fizzy drink.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Different teas also change the taste. Basic black tea tastes different from green tea. Matcha tastes very different from that. That's the only kombucha that my husband will drink. He dislikes the smell of Kombucha.

I use a 2 to 1 mix of black tea and green tea. I prefer Red Rose brand as I dislike Lipton. If I don't like it for tea I don't use it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are several claims of health benefits for kombucha.
First of all, the probiotics are good for your gut health. The SAD is definitely lacking in probiotics.
Because it is made from tea, you get the benefits of drinking tea (increased metabolism, blood sugar control, improved cholesterol levels)
Rat studies consistently find that drinking kombucha regularly reduces liver toxicity caused by toxic chemicals, in some cases by at least 70%. They also showed improvements in both LDL and HDL cholesterol levels.
The acetic acid created by the fermentation process has strong anti-bacterial properties

Not everyone likes the taste. What you are drinking, essentially, is a tea vinegar. The trick is to stop the fermentation process at a point where you get all the benefits but it still tastes good. Some people find adding fruit juice to their kombucha helps with the taste, and if you bottle it after adding the juice, it will continue slowly fermenting and create a fizzy drink.

I've not had any kombucha before that I can remember. Although I may have, I've drank some pretty weird stuff in my life time. The benefits of beer are pretty well known. But like most everything moderation is the key... I know a lot of people, mainly females don't like beer and I think a lot of that is beer in the US has been marketed more to males than females. Maybe it's just that mass produced American beer does not have good flavor profiles that are appealing to females also. But drinking something that tastes like tea vinegar doesn't sound appealing to me.

62ce263d66a72975c61bd63d09f881de.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
People have been drinking actual vinegar for a long time. I collect old cookbooks. Some of the 100+ year old ones have recipes for what are called shrubs. Mixes of vinegar and other things. You can look up recipes for them online by typing drinking shrub recipes. They are also something my husband won't touch.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
People have been drinking actual vinegar for a long time. I collect old cookbooks. Some of the 100+ year old ones have recipes for what are called shrubs. Mixes of vinegar and other things. You can look up recipes for them online by typing drinking shrub recipes. They are also something my husband won't touch.

I do drink a little brags organic ACV when I've got the miseries. And beet juice when I need a pick me up (energy). IDK... Different strokes for different folks. But I think I'll shy away from rotten tea for a while.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm drinking raspberry shrub right now. It has become my drink of choice when I want something cold.
@CrealCritter you might try just buying a single bottle of kombucha to try it... you might be surprised, it's more like tea with a tang.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm drinking raspberry shrub right now. It has become my drink of choice when I want something cold.
@CrealCritter you might try just buying a single bottle of kombucha to try it... you might be surprised, it's more like tea with a tang.

But why? I brew beer. This one tastes like tangerine & grapefruit. Well maybe grapefruit and tangerine. I bet even you non beer drinkers would like it.
IMG_20200514_205435671_HDR.jpg