Kombucha!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast

It's like a vinegar mother for Kombucha

Kombucha is fermented sweet tea.

Have to put some starter kombucha and the scoby in the cloth covered jar to start the next batch (I use cheap coffee filters to let the air in). Sugar levels drop over incubation time. I know people who only incubate for 5 days because that's where they like the taste. I do 8 days then into another jar with a sealing lid for secondary fermentation for about a week depending on how bad I'm being on drinking it. The secondary fermentation makes it more bubbly and reduces the sugar even more

So you mean those glasses of sweet tea I leave in the shop and find after a week or two is Kombucha? It looks like a penicillin experiment and I sure wouldn't want to eat or drink it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I believe this was Matcha & Green Tea, Green Tea, Black Tea & Green Tea.

Well only the middle one am I uncertain now. I was experimenting at that time.

20170419_202207.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So you mean those glasses of sweet tea I leave in the shop and find after a week or two is Kombucha? It looks like a penicillin experiment and I sure wouldn't want to eat or drink it.

No. That's science fair stuff.

Have to start it with fresh tea, culture, and scoby. Think of it as vinegar made with tea. That's about as close as I can think of to it. It just has specific bacteria in it as well that doesn't die in the lower acid environment.

If you buy just a scoby off ebay or where ever and it doesn't come with starter culture, you'll have to use distilled White vinegar instead. Have to start at a lower ph for it to be safe.

Ph meters are like $12 on Amazon. I test before drinking. 2.8 to 3.4 is normal. Lower is safe but the flavor may be effected

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Once it's finished, you can add fruit juice for a different, and slightly sweeter taste. I've found about 20% fruit juice makes a nice mix. Our favorite is cherry juice with black tea Kombucha

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I always wondered how you could tell it was safe. Good to know! I've been wanting to try this, kefir also!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I still do just fine making my kombucha in half gallon jars. Just have the nice amber ones now.

I probably drink too much of the stuff as I have it morning and evening.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not enough to get drunk. Need a long primary fermentation and a long secondary fermentation. Then you might get to 2%

Usually much less. So less it doesnt need to be labeled

Latest posts