Ladies! Cut your own hair?

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So do any of you ladies cut your own hair. This kept falling under the "I like doing things myself but, I'm not going that far" category. But, as usual I went that far.

I was wondering around on the internet late one night (this is always bad for me :) ) and I found this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMyJ-LR8so

I did it and I've had quite a few compliments on my new style. But, that was my first time and I know very little about it. So I was wondering...
What do you do?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I usually just trim my pigtails or ponytail. I'll have to watch the video and see if I can't learn out to do a better job. I have been doing SO's hair and I am getting better...:rolleyes:
The last time, he didn't feel that he had a to wear a hat everywhere :p

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to cut my own hair all the time. Now, I have very long hair, to my waist, all one length. Once every few years I get the ends trimmed up.

I only ever had one bad experience cutting my own hair. I was about due to give birth to my daughter, and just felt like I needed to have shorter hair when she arrived, less to worry about.

I had two mirrors so I could see to do the back of my head. But, the light wasn't that great in the bathroom, so I brought in a lamp from the livingroom. It was a tiny bathroom, so I took off the lampshade and set the lamp on the floor. That gave me enough light.

When cleaning up the hair from the floor, (I had stripped down to take a shower), I bent over, and backed into the exposed light bulb! It hit me high up on my inner thigh!!

It was a major burn! 2nd degree! I went to the Emergency Room.

I think that is also my most embarrassing moment
BigBlush.gif

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I do cut my own hair! In fact it is on my to-do list for tomorrow. I never thought I could maintain the shape of my cut, but I'm doing it while slowly growing out a SHORT undercut bob.

My last haircut! by tortoise11, on Flickr

I use a 3-way mirror and bad lighting. :)

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tortoise, your 'do is so cute! Amazing you did that yourself!

My ex-sister-inlaw used to cut her own hair, a shoulder length layer cut, and it always looked great and had lots of body. Half the time I can't find a hairdresser that can do a decent job on mine (and there's no way I'm paying a salon $60, even for their aptitude and experience--I always go where you don't have to make an appt.!) I might as well try to cut it myself and see if I can do a better job! :rolleyes:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've been able to barter for haircuts for me and dh for years....that is as close as I can get to cutting it myself! When I had long hair, I trimmed my own bangs for a year or so then got it done professionally once in a while. I got scolded.... :p

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I haven't paid for a haircut since 8th or 9th grade. Although since I got married 8 years ago my husband mostly cuts it now.

Pat

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I do indeed. I divide my hair more or less down the middle, hold it out at arm's length over each shoulder, and chop.

:gig

Then I spend the next few weeks trying to even it out when I braid it.

Just yesterday I finally remembered to even it out after a shower when my hair was freshly conditioned. I combed it straight down my back, grabbed it ALL in my fist, pulled it over my shoulder, looked at it rather cross eyed and chopped off any bits that seemed excessively longer than the others.

>.>

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a mirror that I can make it to a 3 sided arrangement. Been cutting my own that way for years. A long time ago after another horrible hair cut, I decided I could look like complete crap for free. I really had nothing to lose by cutting my own hair. It usually doesn't look half bad :D

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
A long time ago after another horrible hair cut, I decided I could look like complete crap for free.
:lol: