Ladies! Cut your own hair?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
abifae said:
I do indeed. I divide my hair more or less down the middle, hold it out at arm's length over each shoulder, and chop.

:gig

Then I spend the next few weeks trying to even it out when I braid it.

Just yesterday I finally remembered to even it out after a shower when my hair was freshly conditioned. I combed it straight down my back, grabbed it ALL in my fist, pulled it over my shoulder, looked at it rather cross eyed and chopped off any bits that seemed excessively longer than the others.

>.>
Hilarious! :lol: :lol:

I do the EXACT thing to cut mine! :ep

I also have long hair, but not as long as Abi's (I have seen the pics. Wow you have pretty hair!)

I have also been the family barber for the last 25 years. (Have clippers - will travel :lol:) I grew up grooming show horses and people heads are much easier. Plus I have never been kicked by a people that I was barbering.

Now that the girls are grown up they pay for haircuts, but the cheap skate boy child always comes home and bugs mom. :)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Heck, ease of hair care is WHY mine is long LOL. If it was short I'd have to style it and that would mean real hair cuts etc etc. Pfffff.

I wash it once a week and trim it twice a year.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out what expenses I can cut out and have been thinking about cutting my own hair.

I have excessively fine, curly hair that looks best cut short so it turns into a mop of curls. Grown longer, it tends to straighten out and just look thin and wayward in spots and frizzy in others, unless I trim it short and scrunge it when wet. I wish I could grow it long and just trim the ends, but it won't grow long (I've tried many times).

I've been wearing the shorter-in-the-back-bob that is so common right now and having a super-cuts cheapo place do it. Tortoise, your hair is sort of similar (just curlier) and I wonder how you get the back right? You are gorgeous!

I've always trimmed my own bangs (with mixed results) and usually get scolded by the hairdressers who fix it......

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been cutting my husband's hair for over 20 years. We've saved alot of money. But I have my hair cut at a salon.

I have very fine, very thin hair; straight and oily too. I use Wally World rogaine on my receding hair line (thanks, Daddy), and have to poof it out on the sides else my ears poke thru. I have it cut and colored (highlighted) every 6 months. The highlights give it some coarseness and texture. The cut gets rid of the 1/2 in of growth that is now old and damaged.

I hate it so much that most days, I pull it back and twist and secure with a clippy. Its just long enuf to do this and get the d*** stuff outa my face.

I would love to have someone to cut and highlight my hair and barter the job with....

flossy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I started cutting mine a few years ago, I have been cutting the rest of them for a few years lnger than that. The 2 boys and DH are super easy, and the DD doesn't care and I figure I can do a better job myself that the crappy hairdressers that hack at my hair and expect to be paid for it.

I actually like it the way I do it, and I don't sit around for six months trying to think of exactly the way I want it because I am going to shell out $40 to get it cut. I would always keep putting it off, one day I decided to just shorten it up. I ended up cutting the whole thing!!!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
abifae said:
Heck, ease of hair care is WHY mine is long LOL. If it was short I'd have to style it and that would mean real hair cuts etc etc. Pfffff.

No way - short is so much easier! Curly long hair takes a lot of maintenance!

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm with Wifezilla... I started cutting my own hair when I realized that I was making corrections for weeks after paying $20 to have a stylist do it. Figured what the heck, I can miss sections of hair myself for free!

So what I do is, after washing my hair and combing it out, I lean way over, trap my hair between my pointer and middle finger, then trim underneath them. Then I stand up straight, brush my hair out, see if anything looks like it needs further trimming, and go from there. My bangs, I trim just like the video says (although I never knew about the triangle thing to feather it a little..I'll have to try that next time).

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
abifae said:

I am a licensed cosmetology teacher and I am horrified... :barnie :th

:lol: JK I cut my own as well. I havent done anything to mine in about a year and just cut it the other day and wore it down for the first time in welllll a year lol and my family just went on and on about it.... I never PLANNED on growing it out it just kinda happened because I alway have a hat on at work so why bother ( I work in food service as well)
Well now it is really long ( for me anyway) and easier to deal with, pony tale, bun, twist, ect ect,