Ladies! Cut your own hair?

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I decided I could look like complete crap for free. I really had nothing to lose by cutting my own hair. It usually doesn't look half bad :D
Exactly! The last time I left my "hairdresser" I felt the same way! I can look like this and keep my money! Thank goodness I have natural curly hair and it has much forgivness to it,...:D :lol:

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Luckily- I'm good at cutting hair. I haven't paid for a hair cut in at least 10 years. Growing it long till summer, and will see what I feel like doing then.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Surprised so many of you cut your own hair. That's neat. I'm seriously contemplating it....

Wifezilla said:
I have a mirror that I can make it to a 3 sided arrangement. Been cutting my own that way for years. A long time ago after another horrible hair cut, I decided I could look like complete crap for free. I really had nothing to lose by cutting my own hair. It usually doesn't look half bad :D
Exactly!! :th

Last cut I had done, the lady informed me it would be an extra $5 to blow-dry my hair when she was done (after getting the FREE shampoo). I told her forget it and I went out into the cold with a wet head!

:tongue

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The best tip I have is DON'T grab it by the handful. You will get a very bad, uneven cut.

Get some cheap clips and do it layer by layer, starting with the bottom back, then the bottom sides, and work your way up one section at a time.

DON'T try to cut it straight across. The hair will slip out from between the scissors and you'll get a crooked cut, plus a lot of uncut hair! Do turn the scissors at an angle and take little snips diagonal to the line you want cut. This will also help your cuts look natural on straight/less forgiving hair types.

Do cut damp hair, but remember that it will shorten as it dries. (Better too long than too short?!)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
*giggles* I'm doin it rong.

But my hair is so long that it doesn't matter what it looks like. And it is WAY too long for me to get to the ends easily. hahaha.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The Bat cuts my hair and has always done so...the few times I went to a salon I left crying. They never listen to what YOU want and only cut/color it the way THEY want it to look. :(

Don't know what I will do if The Bat kicks the bucket, as I can only seem to trim and layer the top and the front. Not coordinated for the rest! :p

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Back before I started cutting my own, I went to the beauty schools and always got good cuts.
The trick is to find pics of hairstyles you like on people with the same shape face as you have. A picture is worth a thousand words. You can make a note on the pic of any changes you want. The same thing would work for helping to find a good cut if you do it yourself.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Back before I started cutting my own, I went to the beauty schools and always got good cuts.
The trick is to find pics of hairstyles you like on people with the same shape face as you have. A picture is worth a thousand words. You can make a note on the pic of any changes you want. The same thing would work for helping to find a good cut if you do it yourself.
I also take photos of every haircut on ME, so that I can show exactly what I want. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm not coordinated enough, especially in a mirror. I cut my bangs-once. I ended up w/almost no bangs since I couldn't get them straight.

On a side note, my cousin J asked his brother H to cut his hair once. H kept trying to even it up, and finally ended up taking a razor and shaving J's head. W/my luck, that's about how I'd end up!