Langstroth vs. Top Bar beekeeping

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Ann--I am concerned about the mentor issue. I don't know of any top-bar hives around here, but I suppose they wouldn't stand out like the Langstroth...

Dixiechicks--I know what you mean about going with things anyway and seeing how it works. I like your idea of one of each hive. I think I might just have to choose and focus on one type this first year. Like you say, though, anything that gets more bees out there is good.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Anny--Wondering if you've begun to build your hives? Do you have your bees ordered? What breed?

I've got my dad committed to come give me a hand building top bars. Sounds like the bars themselves are the most challenging part. I'm going with these because they sound easier for a newbie and much cheaper. I can make most of them with scrap lumber around the farm.

Anybody else doing bees? Those of you who already have hives, how did your bees overwinter this year? How much honey do you have left so far if you leave them the honey for overwintering?

me&thegals

Reaction score
Hey, fellow TBH beeks! How is it going for you so far?

I have my first TBH-specific question. How are you ventilating? I have one entry slat along the bottom of the hive, only 1" unblocked for now until the colony builds up. The other day, there were about 7 bees in each hive that appeared to be trying to draw heat out of the hive (butts out toward the exit, fanning furiously). I took that to mean a need for more ventilation and propped up the back cover.

In a chaotic night last night, I forgot to get back out there and put the covers back down. It stormed furiously last night. I REALLY hope no water got in. I think it was just ventilating under the sides of the lid.

So, how do you ventilate? How do you plan to overwinter your TBH? I'm in zone 4 here in WI and would love to see if any of you are in comparable climates.

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Hey, fellow TBH beeks! How is it going for you so far?

I have my first TBH-specific question. How are you ventilating? I have one entry slat along the bottom of the hive, only 1" unblocked for now until the colony builds up. The other day, there were about 7 bees in each hive that appeared to be trying to draw heat out of the hive (butts out toward the exit, fanning furiously). I took that to mean a need for more ventilation and propped up the back cover.

In a chaotic night last night, I forgot to get back out there and put the covers back down. It stormed furiously last night. I REALLY hope no water got in. I think it was just ventilating under the sides of the lid.

So, how do you ventilate? How do you plan to overwinter your TBH? I'm in zone 4 here in WI and would love to see if any of you are in comparable climates.
Hi - long time, no post - but I'll get in on this one. I have one TBH at present. The biggest climate control feature I have is the siting. My hive is on the edge of a wooded area with deciduous trees. In the winter, it was in the sun; right now it's pretty nice and shaded except during the early morning.

As to over-wintering...I plan to construct a "bee cozy" - with a large plastic bag and insulation inside to strap onto the top of the hive.

--jenna

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I got built my hive and I got my bees my computer is being a bit wonky but I'll post pictures later.

I got my bees from a local guy. For Ventilation I used the screen on the bottom (which a hinged board for the winter)

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I got my computer to be finally play nice.

Here are some pictures of my Bees and my Top bar hive.

beepackage.jpg

topbarhive.jpg

I used the plan from bio bees as a rough plan but I switched some thing up a bit.

If I could go back I would have added the viewing window.

me&thegals

Reaction score
homestead jenna said:
Hi - long time, no post - but I'll get in on this one. I have one TBH at present. The biggest climate control feature I have is the siting. My hive is on the edge of a wooded area with deciduous trees. In the winter, it was in the sun; right now it's pretty nice and shaded except during the early morning.

As to over-wintering...I plan to construct a "bee cozy" - with a large plastic bag and insulation inside to strap onto the top of the hive.

--jenna
How wonderful to have at least 4 of us on here with TBHs! What state or zone are you in, Jenna? Mine is sited similarly to yours. All sun in winter, but they're catching dappled shade by 1 p.m. and pretty much full shade a few hours after that, although their foraging area (at least that immediately near them) is still in full sun.

I'm thinking about winter plans, too, at least to prevent condensation on the top of the hive... Good luck to you!

me&thegals

Reaction score

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have kenyan and tanzanian topbar hives as well as a several langstroths.
I will get some pictures up this week when the weather gets a little better, its been rainy here.

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Anny said:
I got my computer to be finally play nice.

Here are some pictures of my Bees and my Top bar hive.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/Anny86/beepackage.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/Anny86/topbarhive.jpg

I used the plan from bio bees as a rough plan but I switched some thing up a bit.

If I could go back I would have added the viewing window.
Beautiful!! What size package and breed did you get?
The package is a 3lbs package of Italian bees.