Langstroth vs. Top Bar beekeeping

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
homestead jenna said:
Hi - long time, no post - but I'll get in on this one. I have one TBH at present. The biggest climate control feature I have is the siting. My hive is on the edge of a wooded area with deciduous trees. In the winter, it was in the sun; right now it's pretty nice and shaded except during the early morning.

As to over-wintering...I plan to construct a "bee cozy" - with a large plastic bag and insulation inside to strap onto the top of the hive.

--jenna
How wonderful to have at least 4 of us on here with TBHs! What state or zone are you in, Jenna? Mine is sited similarly to yours. All sun in winter, but they're catching dappled shade by 1 p.m. and pretty much full shade a few hours after that, although their foraging area (at least that immediately near them) is still in full sun.

I'm thinking about winter plans, too, at least to prevent condensation on the top of the hive... Good luck to you!
Sorry to be so dang long out of here but it's been a busy time. I got a swarm that I hived last week but first had to quickly get the second hive ready for occupants!

I'm in Maryland, zone 6 and 3/4. LOL!!!!