LARD

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is what I'm talking about. Our Amish friends called my wife to come over because it was desert baking day. They gave us a box full of stuff cookies, a huge batch of rolls. But look at this apple pie :drool

IMG_20181221_200422009.jpg

Then I kicked it up a notch with a scoop of homemade burbon butter pecan ice cream :drool:drool:drool
IMG_20181221_200737523.jpg

Slight hint of smoky flavor apple pie flavor plus slight hint of Burbon = :drool:drool:drool:drool:drool

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Contrary to popular opinion, not all of the alcohol cooks off during baking. Enough does that it would be difficult to get drunk eating Boef Bourginonne, however ;)
I don't drink a lot, because my intention is to taste it-- not to get drunk. I love a good full bodied dry red wine though, and I found a source of lower alcohol wines that are compatible with my low carb lifestyle. Almost all American wines add sugar to increase the alcohol content (and the carbs); these wineries do not, so I can indulge in a glass several times a week.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I set out pig fat last night to thaw. I started at 8:00 this morning and finished at 6:00 this evening. I got 8 jars of lard and 6 bags of cracklins of 1 cup each. I still have pig fat in the freezer but I won’t be making lard tomorrow!

Out of the hot water bath to seal it, the lard is yellowish but cools to a pure white.

75063F6B-79CD-4DC1-B605-7BAA05A32930.jpeg

Cracklins!

BAADB5A7-178E-482A-8A37-9DAA993E723D.jpeg

There was some meat on the back side of the fat. I carved the meat off, shredded it, put it in a pot with my home made BBQ sauce and made pulled pork. After I cleaned up my mess, we had sandwiches, they sure were good!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Very interesting to see your process! I havent rendered lard, but I do venison tallow.

I heat it in a crockpot with an inch or more of water in the bottom. When its ready, I put it in the fridge. Next day I pop the tallow off and scrape off the bottom where some sediment lingers. I repeat the heating with water and cooling. This makes it pristine. I reheat and pour into molds like ice cubes and freeze it. I need to break up tasks into manageable chunks and standing over a strainer pouring hot fat is no-go. I made it a slow process, but easier.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been using the tallow I rendered to lard leaner roasts. Shoving the larding needle through does take some strength but improves the meat greatly.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's easier to just use fat strips, or bacon, when larding. I prefer rendered fat as it fully dissappears. I have used butter before. It can get messy so make sure fat is very cold for best results.