Laundry soap---Question about results

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I say it's a pretty average recipes. I don't have mine in front of me but it looks the same. The only thing I would say is I found it easier to melt the fels if you use a bigger pot with more water on the stove. It does not change the recipe any.

:)

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been using the laundry soap for about 10 months and haven't noticed any problems, but I will say that one tablespoon of chlorox to your wash will kill all bacteria and wont change the color of your clothes.

If you do small loads use one teaspoon.

Nikki28

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does anyone use baking soda in the rinse cycle?
I just started using homemade soap and have heard that baking soda is a natural softner and deodorizer when added to the rinse cycle. I imagine you would have to use hot water then....or no?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Nikki28 said:
Does anyone use baking soda in the rinse cycle?
I just started using homemade soap and have heard that baking soda is a natural softner and deodorizer when added to the rinse cycle. I imagine you would have to use hot water then....or no?
I have seen articles that have mentioned using 1/2 cup of baking soda in the rinse cycle to help remove odors and to soften. I have never tried this.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The bleach trick does work....just have to make sure it is totally blended with the water BEFORE you add clothes.

I am going to give something a try today. Adding salt to the load. I have hard water, so it should work like a water softener. I have been getting some dingies and soap scum build up on the inside of my washing machine.

Hopefully this will do the trick since my fabric softener ball doesn't seem to want to let the vinegar out during the rinse cycle (grrr)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I have been getting some dingies and soap scum build up on the inside of my washing machine.

Hopefully this will do the trick since my fabric softener ball doesn't seem to want to let the vinegar out during the rinse cycle (grrr)
Wifezilla, I just put the vinegar in the machine's fabric softener dispenser and that works well.

For cleaning the inside tub, I just wipe/scrub it down with baking soda on a rag. If it is really on there, a mock-Mr. Clean Eraser and baking soda works for me. The run the machine through a rinse cycle to clean out the baking soda.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Good ideas, but just tossing some salt in and shutting the lid is so much easier. :gig It appears to be working on the load I just got out :D

I have a few more loads to do so I will have a final verdict on the salt addition later today.

Nikki28

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Tried the baking soda this morning I mixed 1/4 cup with a small amount of hot water and put it in the fabric softener spot. Pretty pleased with the results. Will try Vinegar next time.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Well the salt got rid of the dingies. It didn't soften towels very well for line drying, but the shirts, pillow cases, etc.. were fine.