Laundry soap...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes! I love it! Such a relief to never have to "run out" of detergent....I can always make more. :)

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just made my 2nd batch yesterday and both times now it hasnt actually gelled. The first time I didnt boil soap gratings, just mixed it in really hot water, added borax n sodas. It turned out kindachunky or lumpy. This batch I did the recipe exact, and it turned out REALLY gelled, as in a comlpetely solid blob! So what is going wrong? Or is this what its supposed to do? I ended up taking the blob bit by bit and putting in my mixer bowl with the wisk and its smoother now but still not what I think of as a gelany thoughts? Only reason I ask is that I want to reuse the jugs I already have.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sounds like not enough water

i personally like the big blob its kinda like a science exp

when it turns in to a blob i like to put ,y hand in it and keep squeezing it until its all chunky feels like being a kid again

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mamaluv321 said:
I just made my 2nd batch yesterday and both times now it hasnt actually gelled. The first time I didnt boil soap gratings, just mixed it in really hot water, added borax n sodas. It turned out kindachunky or lumpy. This batch I did the recipe exact, and it turned out REALLY gelled, as in a comlpetely solid blob! So what is going wrong? Or is this what its supposed to do? I ended up taking the blob bit by bit and putting in my mixer bowl with the wisk and its smoother now but still not what I think of as a gelany thoughts? Only reason I ask is that I want to reuse the jugs I already have.
You aren't doing anything wrong. That is the gel "they" talk about. For our family, I have kinda changed the recipe. I decrease the water by half and add one part baking soda to the other ingredients. So for my recipe I use a full bar of grated Fels Naptha soap, 1.5 cup each of washing soda, baking soda and Borax and three gallons of water. With the addition of tge baking soda it does not seem to gel like before although it dies kind of set up a thick layer on top. I use a large whisk to break thus up and then pour it into 4 one gallon vinegar jugs. Before use I give it a shake to resuspend the "floaties" (it tends to separate) and it pours well. It has been working great. I usually use a bit of vinegar in the fabric softner dispenser.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Birdbrain said:
You aren't doing anything wrong. That is the gel "they" talk about.
Ok, I was wondering about that! So that's why everyone says they keep it in those 5 gal buckets or storage totes!! Well, I'm all set now, I have 3 gallons. The recipe I used is pretty much the same as yours,'cept I used 2 cups borax. Tho I think I might be making it sooner than I think, I've been converting a few friends...

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been using the Borax/Fels Naptha/Washing Soda/All Fabric Bleach recipe since June and really love it. Now I want to mix some up for my niece, who will be washing a lot of cloth diapers in the near future. Is my recipe OK for baby? Should I alter anything?

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I gave a gallon to my SIL (recently divorced, no job, no income except for what she gets from family for working for them). She was so thrilled with the soap and got the recipe. She's now made her first batch and is in laundry soap heaven. :love

dagaul101

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That is nice, I bet it feels like discovery a shop full of candy as a kid for the first time