Laundry soap...

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:/O.K. this is going to sound sooo stupud, but here goes...just what is washing soda? Is it just plain ofd arm and hammer? I would love to try making my own laundry soap,but just need to be clear on this. Thanks

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
please forgive the typ-o been a long day, guess I should learn to use the preview button lol

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
No washing soda is actually a different compound.

Washing soda is sodium carbonate and BAKING soda is sodium BI-carbonate.

Washing Soda VS Baking Soda

My powdered laundry soap recipe actually calls for both types. The BAKING soda helps deodorize and stabilizes the waters PH level and the WASHING soda acts as a solvent to lift out stains and keeps colors bright.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I joined up a soapers forum where they were talking about making liquid hand soap, and just had to share this idea. To get good, storebought texture, dissolve soap in water, then add pectin. Tada! You can't use baking soda when you do this, so I'm not sure if you can use washing soda or not. If not, just add that to the goop after cooling, or add it per load.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Farmfresh, I got the supplies today and mixed a batch, will be trying it this weekend.Keeping my fingers crossed, that it is a good as all of you say.:weee

vachicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
PH up and washing soda are both sodium carbonate...no difference :D
So somewhere in all this info I don't have a recipe for laundry detergent dry... is there a link somewhere in here?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2878

There are quite a few threads floating around on laundry soap. this one has quite a few recipes on it, or you can do a search, located on the top blue bar. Most recipes are basically the same with a few variations. I prefer dry, it is easier to make, store and use, but each has there preference.

:welcome

vachicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2878

There are quite a few threads floating around on laundry soap. this one has quite a few recipes on it, or you can do a search, located on the top blue bar. Most recipes are basically the same with a few variations. I prefer dry, it is easier to make, store and use, but each has there preference.

:welcome
Thanks and Thanks!

vachicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
So I made my laundry detergent. couple of questions:

should it be "soapy" while it is washing like regular detergent? Mine has no suds

It called for 1 cup soap, I used about 3/4 of a bar of Octagon but I can't imagine that the other 1/4 would make a difference in the suds.

I have only washed 1 load of towels so far and they look clean but have no smell.

Thanks

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am using the powdered. It might not be as cheap as the liquid, but it is working and is still about 1/3 the cost of cheap commercial laundry soap.

Now, if anyone can work out the recipe to Cascade complete, I will have it made. That stuff is $6 a bottle and the only thing that works in our hard water and with the amount of mess my family makes :p
Hi! I am goosedragon over at BYC, remember me? I think we can duplicate Cascade, I am not aware of Cascade Complete so I will look it up to see what I can learn. I am a professional chemist that spent 2 years to duplicate Cascade. 95% of that time was trying to duplicate the green color and the odor of the Cascade, that chlorine containing formula is just plain Heck on the dye (fades) and changes perfumes to smell awful! I assume you are not interested in those? If you are willing to work with Sodium Tripolyphospate (a caustic material) dry chlorine source hopefully available from a pool chemical dealer but an irritant. And sodium silicate which might be hard to find and is also an irritant. This formulation would NOT be for everyone. The ingredients are dangerous. But if you are interested let me know and I will start on it. I will not post the formulation here but will email it to you and you can post if you wish. Let me know if you are interested.

Latest posts