Layoff Still On--Ugh

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
UGH Pam....that is rough.

yea Tony's company is doing the same. They did forced 4 days of vacation at Christmas etc. etc. And they are changing their policies to "less tolerant" of absentee time etc. If they can FIND a reason to put you out the door, they are looking for it harder now.....unload the deadwood employees.

At least your DHs company is taking steps....you know if they lay off a few and get tight in the belt and freeze raises, the company may stay afloat and keep people in work!

Commscope is doing all they can to keep most people working and not lose the business.....companies have to do it, they got no choice in the matter actually.

His company spent $750,000 to replace all lights in every plant they save and the savings on electric bill is monsterous.....so at least they are trying. So money well spent to get a money saving daylight flourscents all thru their plants.

whew.....

it is scary. I truly like knowing what exact amt. of money is coming to me each week....LOL...but in these times who knows what Tony will make or draw or "whatever"----I don't like that but we sure have to live with it.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
PP - It truely is scary and it is soooooo going to get worse before it gets any better. At least your DH's company has a plan to try to keep as many people employed for as long as possible. So many companies are just shutting the doors or going to skeleton crews.

I feel fortunate to have a job and to know I have one for at least the next 8 to 12 months. After that who knows but until then I feel fairly secure. One day at a time is all we can hope for right now.

I am considering cutting cable and internet service myself just so I can save that money monthly. It will be almost like being cut off from the world if I finally do make the break but right now I am still pondering on it. It is my last place to cut expenses. But I so want to bank more money each month and that would sure help.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
2dream- if you do decide to do that, please check in at the library or something so we know how it goes.

PS I have $19 oer month dial up- slow but cheap.....................

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2dream
don't you dare leave us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you do kill internet then you must check in somehow!
cut tv before internet..LOL

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
OK you talked me right into not doing it. LOL Whew - I was having withdrawls just thinking about it.

Really if I do cut the internet and cable I still have internet access at work. My problem is I don't really watch TV often. The computer is my source of news and entertainment. DH on the other hand does not even know how to turn the computer on and is not interested in learning. He likes to watch TV. So we go round and round with I don't have a problem cutting the cable but he does. He does not care about the computer but I do. So for now we will just keep both until we just can't.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am in the EXACT same boat as you 2 dream.

No way Tony is cutting cable tv...ain't happening at all unless we are broke to the bone!

No way I am cancelling internet. I did call and got my ATT DSL lowered from $24.95 to $14.95.

I need to call Directtv and see if I can get a lower payment. Times are bad and companies are compensating prices for customers. They want some money if they can get it instead of customers cancelling.

I don't want these payments, but honestly, they are necessary to me. I use internet for work and play---Tony uses the tv so I ain't giving them up til I HAVE TO!!!! LOL-LOL

Don't let the payments grate on your nerves....just say this is the "optional" stuff we want in life right now.....you can always cancel later or never.....don't worry about it ya know.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
ITA!! I can't live without the internet and DH LOVES having the Directv back on!
The cable guy said they should have the cable line up and running within two weeks so that will say us a LOT of $$!! Right now we pay $60 for satelite internet, $50 for Directv, and $45 for landline. The cable will be $99 for all three!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh Pam that will be a good deal for you when it gets up and running...not bad at all! Anywhere you can save right.

Yea for me I gotta have tv and internet for now. Maybe many years down the line that might change....but not now..LOL