Layout Question

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's great news! I like the forum the way it is. I never go on BYC anyway, it was too big. Plus, when we got our new internet provider and new e-mail, I couldn't get on, and couldn't even get my password. So, unless someone PM's me a password to get on there, I can't. :/

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree to! I like this forum in the layout it has right now. I find that I go to BYC less and less as time goes by. I suppose BYC's growth is somewhat seasonal--probably spurts up in the spring when inexperienced people find themselves with an Easter chicken or two. But I would think their interest and participation wanes when those new chicken owners get rid of the chicken or it dies on them. There are a handful of experienced members who faithfully answer the same questions over and over, and thank goodness for them!

I wonder, since so many folks sign on to a forum but never post after the first few times--do any of these sister sites automatically dump old inactive members after a year or so? Would there be any advantage or drawbacks to that?

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
That's great news! I like the forum the way it is. I never go on BYC anyway, it was too big. Plus, when we got our new internet provider and new e-mail, I couldn't get on, and couldn't even get my password. So, unless someone PM's me a password to get on there, I can't. :/
Shoot an email to support@backyardchickens.com with your username and we can help you out!

so lucky said:
I suppose BYC's growth is somewhat seasonal--probably spurts up in the spring when inexperienced people find themselves with an Easter chicken or two.

I wonder, since so many folks sign on to a forum but never post after the first few times--do any of these sister sites automatically dump old inactive members after a year or so? Would there be any advantage or drawbacks to that?
Yup, there is a TON of seasonality to BYC and also at TEG and to a lessor extent BYH and SS. I think it's because these sites get a bigger boost of activity as BYC gets a boost since they are interlinked.

Regarding old members: There aren't ever really advantages to removing them, but there are disadvantages. We regularly find that old members or no-post members are subscribing to topics, using PM, and even sometimes eventually post.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Thanks, Nifty. I'll do that.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
There are up sides and down sides... I do wish this private message system were a little more advanced.
But if it makes the forum more confusing, then I'd rather not. Plus I think SS is kinda basic which is good when I am at home cause my internet is limited in bandwidth per month!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
There are up sides and down sides... I do wish this private message system were a little more advanced.
But if it makes the forum more confusing, then I'd rather not. Plus I think SS is kinda basic which is good when I am at home cause my internet is limited in bandwidth per month!
I like the basic forum too... we're in a rural area and are limited to dial-up internet. I can't really go on BYC anymore, it's just TOO slow for me and takes up too much time waiting for stuff to load, and I'd hate to lose this forum :)